Hammer-Tech

Astro_Al

I've got to separate a couple of parts held together by roll pins. I've done one set using my deadblow hammer. The other set refuses to budge, and I have completely destroyed the hammer on it.

The material is cast. I don't want to crack it.

So, what ranks between a deadblow hammer and a hide & copper mallet in terms of hardness, but has enough balls to get the job done without disintegrating on me?

Does anyone make a high-mass deadblow hammer?

Cheers, Al.

P.S. I want to see Land Rover Special Part Numbers quoted in all replies.

i take it u're tryin to drift the roll pin? :unsure:

if so, why are you using a deadblow?

gentle heat for expansion so things will move easier?

No, the roll pins are in blind holes and can't be drifted out. Usefully.

I'm trying to drift off an entire steering 'knuckle' from the flange of the main axle casing - hence the not-damaging-a-cast-part problem. The bolts are out, the pins are uber-tight.

I wasn't sure heat would help in this case, maybe I'll give it a whirl. I'll have to, I'm running out of hammers.

I had a search, but can only find dead blows of max 1kg. Soft-faced of up to 600 grams, and mincy little hide/copper hammers (like wot I got already, innit).

Al.

thought you would have fabbed up a foot plate, attached it to the tube and pressed it off with a hydraulic jack by now Al.... hammers??? how about a bit of oak between the casing and the hammer and beat the daylights out of it - or ring Dan and see how he does it with panzer axles

:P

thought you would have fabbed up a foot plate, attached it to the tube and pressed it off with a hydraulic jack by now Al.... hammers??? how about a bit of oak between the casing and the hammer and beat the daylights out of it - or ring Dan and see how he does it with panzer axles

:P

Ah you know me so well... :P

It's already on the cards. That hydro pump you suggested on the 'Hydro Press' thread has arrived and seems pretty bonza (anyone need anything crimped?). Just need to sort the ram now, and I'm away. I have a week in the UK next week, I will have this off by the end, hopefully having built some entirely unnecessary heavy duty tools along the way... B)

I have already used up several pieces of oak (along with lesser wood samples) with regular hammers, all to no avail - that thing is properly in there.

Thanks Mark - that deadblow sledge isn't out of the question - warranty would be good I think!

Al.

Yeah, I'm trying, but it simply won't get in-between the two flanges and push them apart - it just mashed up the sides of the flanges. If I could get a crack open I'd be away - they simply wont budge at the mo, and a cold chisel isn't doing to biz...

Al.

www.thorhammer.com/copham.htm

6.35 kg copper sledgehammer at the bottom.

I find a good thump from a big hammer often does the job and causes less damage than a small hammer, which tends just to burr things over.

G110

(sorry I don't know how to make it clicky)

Edit by geoffbeaumont:

Made clicky :)

Edited by geoffbeaumont

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite has got to be a Thor copper and hide mallet. Available in a range of sizes.

I've also got a 2kg rubber mallet which is good for thumping things without damaging them.

So far as separating the parts you want to, how about a slide hammer fitted via the wheel studs or some such??

Cheers

Jon

I've also got a 2kg rubber mallet which is good for thumping things without damaging them.

Cheers

Jon

would that be like a kerb hammer then??? have seen those bigger!

Re power pack are these any good?

the big one has a 5" feed to a ram which used to operate a rame baut 18/20" diameter and 12' long (ish)

have two of each up for sale and about 12 drums (215L) of oil to go with them

post-1103-1163272314_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1163272346_thumb.jpg