Trailer MOT - Under tools 'cause I use it to tow LR bits

Gazzar

Morning all,

I was talking with a mate and he is in the process of sorting out a driving licence, and, in passing he mentioned seeing something on the gov website about all trailers needing a MOT after 28 August, as part of the reforms to the Paper licences and tax disks etc (England & Wales).

Does any one know any thing about this?

G.

dont get me wrong, i dont mind the idea of having tested trailers. i think its quite sensible.

although. lets say they do go ahead (of which i am sceptical for now as theres been talk of it for years) we have a total of 5 trailers (3.5T overrun trailers anyway) and if each test costs £20 thats £100 a year for the privelige.

i am most probably right in assuming the DVLA wont be paying for them for us either :)

Do your trailers not have to sit any road worthiness test in the UK? I'm surprised about that haha.

In NZ trailers have to pass a warrant of fitness, and you have to pay registration on them too! It makes trailer ownership a bit of a pain at times but atleast you know that it's sound.

No, nothing at all on trailers and caravans. Lorry trailers yes but not little private jobbies. It's been talked about for many a year. I dare say one day it'll happen and I shan't complain. Mine isn't the best in the world I know, but it's better than some I've seen, including the one I followed a few weeks ago being towed by a disco at all of 5mph......something to do with the nearside wheel, hub and brake drum being IN the trailer I think....

I believe there is a type test for new trailers to ensure light positions, reflectors, brakes etc.

I saw a cracker the other day, it had leaf springs at the edges of the axle then someone had welded a coil spring in the middle of the axle, it was bending the axle like a banana :S

Bit off topic,but trailer related... On the local news the other night there was a report on a coach crash on the M5,in the queue opposite there was an Ifor Williams horsebox sat in the outside lane - you could see the horse moving around,obviously bored with the jam.

My point is that people have in general a very lax attitude towards trailer use,maintenance and care in general.In Australia trailers have their own number plate and pay a licence fee,but it doesn't seem to improve the care in use etc.(In Western Australia they don't even have Mot's)