Crank Pulley Removal

This is the stupidest question I have asked in a long time, but I know I'm missing something obvious and looking/poking around hasn't changed the result so I have to ask here.

First - the engine is a 4.0 V8 with LT85, sitting in a rolling chassis - no pedals, nothing plumbed in, just engine, gearbox, props and axles/wheels.

The crank pulley needs to come off so I can fit the MS trigger wheel. I've put the car in gear, I've cable tied the handbrake in the 'on' position (as the cable isn't fitted) and I've chocked the wheels.

I'm turning the crank pulley nut anti-clockwise as I've learned it's a standard thread, but the engine won't get to a point where it's locked for me to exert any pressure on it - it just spins and spins.

So, could it be that the clutch is not able to lock the engine and gearbox without the rest of the system plumbed in? It's a new clutch, fitted a few weeks ago by someone who knew what they are doing, and the car will move on rotating the crank without the handbrake on. Is there something completely different I've overlooked? I'm not going to pretend I have much of a clue what I'm doing, but that's the point of learning.

Try putting it in a higher gear............ ie, less engine revolutions per wheel revolution.... meaning the engine has to turn less to hopefully be to the point of cracking the nut off........ when it gets on tension, belt the socket bar with a mallet or something to shock it....

I use a 3/4" air impact gun, comes straight off.

Are there impact guns and impact guns? Mine wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, let alone a crank bolt. It's ok for undoing nuts quickly, but I often have to crack them first. The impact gun was a cheapo Aldi special, the compressor is a 150psi (think it's set at 120 though) 100 litre 3hp wolf

Are there impact guns and impact guns? Mine wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, let alone a crank bolt. It's ok for undoing nuts quickly, but I often have to crack them first. The impact gun was a cheapo Aldi special, the compressor is a 150psi (think it's set at 120 though) 100 litre 3hp wolf

Yep, when buying look for the max torque figure.

Or just use the starter motor to turn the engine with tool wedged to the chassis. Works plenty fine

I get how that would work, but in this case the starter is already out, no power to the vehicle of any sort at the moment.

I had looked at the higher gear/less rotation idea but because of the clutch situation I can't seem to get anything above second, it just won't engage. I don't have access to any airlines so that's not an option. It looks like I'll have to try getting a wedge into the ring gear and finding the longest breaker bar I can to give a shock load. Thanks for the suggestions, I will post up when I give it another go.

Have a look at my posts here.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=38651&hl

I made a tool for both undoing and doing up this nut on my tdi.

The 'lock it on the the gears/clutch method' has never worked for me as there is too much slack in huge drivetrain to make it a success.

I don't think there is anywhere on a 4.0 V8 pulley to attach a tool like that Richard.

Actually there are two holes in the pulley which could be used, I was trying to find something to put through them braced against the chassis front but didn't have anything small enough to fit into the holes yet strong enough to withstand the forces. A length of steel shaped and bolted through would stop the pulley turning once it hit a chassis leg, it would also allow the pulley to be torqued up properly on refitting... I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

it would also allow the pulley to be torqued up properly on refitting....

That was always my problem with the undo it on the the starter theory... They never explain how to torque it back up. As above, I always found the transmission had too much slack in it to lock everything up enough to do this.

Well, pleased to announce - it's off!

With a steel bar through the starter hole and applying a little force on the breaker bar, came off with very little resistance.

I would never have got it off with the transmission locked, just too much slack in everything but I wouldn't want to try it with big loads put through the bar, I can see that screwing the bell housing easily as you suggest, Idris.

Getting it back together will be interesting as I won't be using the same method - I'll have to rig up something to lock the pulley.

This forum yet again comes through for me, thank you all.