Warn winch info anyone

unclebill

Hi, anyone shed any light on the specs of the Warn 12 Industrial hydraulic winch that i've obtained through eblag, its rated at 5500kg, but anything like gearbox ratios, flow rates etc would be helpful, ,its also got a divided spool almost like it was designed for twin cables, any ideas.

Cheers Bill

Tis a bit of a monster, but think I can get it to fit, goodbye 2 inch lift.

motor is about 4.5 cubic inches,as opposed to the mile marker 12000 which is about 18 cubic inches.Don't know much about hydraulics ,but would be interested to know what sort of pump would be required to make the warn work well.if anyone can shed light...

If my memory is right most industruial superwinch (and a H12 is) will take 50-60 LPM from a PTO driven pump, prob you will have is that for a series 2 unit (Superwinch PTO face mount) this stops at around 30-32 LPM series 3 takes you to this output but the face plate is biggwer and doesn't fit

Just means the winch runs slower than its design max

HTH

nige

If my memory is right most industruial superwinch (and a H12 is) will take 50-60 LPM from a PTO driven pump, prob you will have is that for a series 2 unit (Superwinch PTO face mount) this stops at around 30-32 LPM series 3 takes you to this output but the face plate is biggwer and doesn't fit

Just means the winch runs slower than its design max

HTH

nige

Ah well might as well come clean and be ready for the p*ss take, the idea is that I've got an industrial power pack hydraulic unit, used to be run by a single phase motor, am replacing that with the 12volt winch motor that I got at Sodbury, altering the tank to keep weight down and running the motor from a dedicated second battery, one need to see the flow rate from the unit when its finished and two want to see how long the battery will last at a basically unloaded condition, if that all pans out well I will fit the hydraulic winch, the plus side would be that hydaulic winchs are much better under water(and Slindon crud) and two that even if the engine dies there would be enough reserve to get out of the goo.

Right ready for the comments, good bad idea, I'll still go ahead and build the unit anyway, just to see how it performs.

Bill

In simple terms it has merits.

But

the PTO on say an LT230 at engine speed of say 1500 RPM and a 30 LPM pump shifts a LOT of fluid, not sure what you are proposing will.

However, you may fiond that with a decent battery and pump it shifts more than an engine driven PAS and MIlemarker winch......although that needs less volume shifted to move it

I'm sure mafhs clever with number blokeys will give you more accurate numbers......

But interesting non the less....

Nige

who said bugger all that weight :)

seems a little ott for a winch doesn't it, complex and many points for it all to play up.

hydraulic winch/power pack/reservoir/electric winch motor/battery

Dah, sorry, whats complex, hydraulics, no, lot more reliable than electicity, especially in goo, pump, one moving part and all remote in the snug and warm, simple three port control and a battery, ok might throw in a solenoid to start the pump, but no electrical reversing, no electrical controls.

Dah, sorry, whats complex, hydraulics, no, lot more reliable than electicity, especially in goo, pump, one moving part and all remote in the snug and warm, simple three port control and a battery, ok might throw in a solenoid to start the pump, but no electrical reversing, no electrical controls.

hydraulic winch/power pack/reservoir/electric winch motor/battery

seems a fair bit of kit to make a winch.

what does that lot weigh in at?

Hybrid - this is the warn h12 not superwinch h12,very different,but yes it is rated as 60 l/min max flow.

Dolly - warn h12 has a motor about a quarter the capacity of the milemarker h12,does this mean it requires a quarter the flow of oil?It can't be that simple.

ping me as much info as you have Unclebill and I'll do the maths for you, need to know rpm of the leccy motor, cc/rev of the pump and working pressure (if you can dig it out), torque or HP figure for the leccy motor would be helpful as well

Hi, old single phase motor was about 1780 rpm,winch motor according to Goodwinch is about 2400rpm, 4.6HP, rating of the pump is about 120 bar, only problem as I see is the flow rate which I'll measure before I go too far and yes I agree Tony its heavy which is why I,m scaling down the reservoir on the power pack, second battery is ganna be in there anyway even if I ran a leccy winch and as I've drowned two winches at Slindon now I'm thinking it is better to have a heavy one that works as opposed to light and dead, and anyway did you see the monster on the Goodwinch stand at Sodbury, now that is heavy.

Most of the specs are on the website ……..

Max flow 60L/min @ 1820psi = 24ft/min............... g/box is 36:1 so the motor must be doing 830rpm @ full rated pull ........... drum is 4inch dia so it will recover 12.5inches per rev.

Flowing less = slower, but is not linear on most motors.

Less working pressure will result in less max torque, again not exactly linear in most applications.

Beware of altering the fluid capacity of the tank as you may run into overheating problems. Most commercial applications run anything from 2:1 to 4:1 tank size, based on the pump flow….i.e 60L/min flow would be sized as a 120L to 240L tank. As our uses are classed as intermittent, it is common to use 0.5:1 (60L pump = 30L tank).

The laws of physics tell me you are not going to get something for nothing ……….. so I would expect a hefty current flow to the leccy pump motor when the winch is at full chat.

Seems a long way round to get a result …………. Putting leccy in there will just increase the losses …………. Better to go PTO ;)

Ian

Max flow 60L/min @ 1820psi = 24ft/min............... g/box is 36:1 so the motor must be doing 830rpm @ full rated pull ........... drum is 4inch dia so it will recover 12.5inches per rev.

Less working pressure will result in less max torque, again not exactly linear in most applications.

Beware of altering the fluid capacity of the tank as you may run into overheating problems. Most commercial applications run anything from 2:1 to 4:1 tank size, based on the pump flow….i.e 60L/min flow would be sized as a 120L to 240L tank. As our uses are classed as intermittent, it is common to use 0.5:1 (60L pump = 30L tank).

The laws of physics tell me you are not going to get something for nothing ……….. so I would expect a hefty current flow to the leccy pump motor when the winch is at full chat.

Seems a long way round to get a result …………. Putting leccy in there will just increase the losses …………. Better to go PTO ;)

Ian

Cheers Ian, must admit I've been waiting for your comments as I read your other stuff on hydraulics when I was putting this idea together, points taken, i,ve thought about the overheating but unless in a competition I don't think that would be a problem, currant load, yes thats why I've gone for a winch motor, used to working hard and the battery is a mother of a battery, point taken about a PTO, but whilst my V8 swims well its the thing that you need a winch when your in the mire and its possible that all is dead, drowned whatever and the battery should then have enough to pull to somewhere sensible.

Pleased you stayed on by the way, your tech info on hydraulics has been very useful.

Cheers Bill

Ian

One more point on this: the worm and wormwheel have a efficiency of about 25%! So the losses in this powertrain from engine transformed into line pull will be horrendous.

Daan