"Q" Plates The End?

keithjh

Hi All,

Was today informed by a Traffic Officer, South Yorks Police that the "Q" plate system has finished and that "Age" related plates will be issued in the future. Anyone else now anything about this.

Regards Keith

Not strictly true.

DVLA prefer to issue an age-related plate if possible. Where the vehicle's age genuinely cannot be established a Q will still be issued, along with a VRO issued VIN number.

AFAIK the Q system is not, and will not be abolished - it's just that Q plates are less likely to be issued.

Matt

Guest diesel_jim
AFAIK the Q system is not, and will not be abolished - it's just that Q plates are less likely to be issued.

Matt

Buy them here... get them here.... genuine cherished Q plate log books...... :D:D:D

wonder if they'll catch on?

(it was just a joke.... i don't have any Q plate log books for sale!

I wonder if he's saying that if they can't Q it then it can't go on the road.period..destruction orders etc etc etc.

Well we will see about the "Q" plate issue shortly from this end i have a 94 110 chassis fitted with a 94/95 disco 300tdi engine plus auto box that i am about to register. be interested to see what they say, the body work is from various 110/90 models etc

The "Q" plate issue came up as i bought a LR from eblag that turned out to be not quite "correct" shall we say and i was talking to the traffic officer. by the way no probs at this end as i bought the vehicle in good faith. Apparently DVLA and VOSA employ people just to watch eblag!!!!

Regards

Keith

Always wondered, what happens if you decide to take a motor off the road permemantly i.e. use it as a trialer so you do not need to SORN every year? Do you need to prove that it does not exist? Whats the differrence of my moter on my drive no SORN, TAX or insurance and on my drive as a a purely off road vehicle only?

If I say it's been scrapped and they see it then am I am guilty of some new Traffic charge?

Sid - presumably if you mark it as scrapped the DVLA take the logbook and probably re-use (/sell) the plate, so you'd be wanting to take the plate off it and need to re-register it if it ever went back on the road, they'd probably then demand a VIC or possibly an SVA depending on the state of it. Very similar to getting a scrapper and fixing it and putting back on the road - I got an age-related plate re-issued from a similar scrapped vehicle on mine.