Fuel tanks / pumps commonality - grab your tape measures!

FridgeFreezer

This was brought about by a need for a new fuel tank for the 127 but it could be useful tech info in general. I'd like to work out if later in-tank fuel pumps (made by VDO) for plastic fuel tanks are interchangeable between models / tanks.

I'm in the market for a Defender rear fuel tank (110/127 type), but with an EFI conversion on the horizon I'll need a high pressure fuel pump. That got me thinking as to whether the Range Rover / Discovery in-tank pumps would fit into the hole in a Defender plastic tank.

Unfortunately I don't have a RR fuel pump or Defender tank to hand to measure, but I have measured a freelander tank & pump that's kicking round in the shed.

If anyone has any sort of plastic tank or fuel pump they can measure the hole and top of perhaps we can establish a list of swappable pumps - might even save some people money on spares too.

My measurement:

1998 Freelander 1.8 Petrol

Hole 110mm / Top plate of pump 135mm

The fuel pump unit from a RR P38 will fit in the Defender 90 tank - I used one to run a 3.9 V8EFi for a while. It might be a bit long but they can be "shortened" fairly easily.

A better alternative (and something I've since done when I converted form V8 to TD5) is to use a Discovery 300TDi fuel sender unit, again from a plastic tank. This fits the Defender tank without any modification and gives you a fuel level sender unit, feed pipe and return pipe. You can then put an external fuel pump on which is a LOT better for maintenance purposes, mine is mounted on top of the chassis and accessible via the inspection panel under the drivers seat. I got mine from a scrappers so also go the threaded fittings to connect my pipes to the sender unit.

To ensure long life form the expensive bit (the pump) I installed an inline pre-filter between the tank and the pump and a 300TDi canister fuel filter between the pump and the regulator.

It's also used on ROW-spec vehicles, which have the later 'Td5' plastic tank but a 300Tdi engine. There's one listed for ROW 90 and one for ROW 110, I have one of the latter in the garage somewhere if a measurement would be useful?

I remember it being pretty expensive, didn't know the 300Tdi Disco part was the same - though I wonder if the tank height/depth and therefore sender calibration is the same betweeen Disco 300Tdi and ROW-spec 90/110 applications?

I think you're already covered but I have a 3.9i pump and a Td5 pump on the shelf if you need any dimensions from them. I never substantiated the suspicion but I think the tank I'm using in my RR is late (plastic) RRC and it takes the Td5 pump perfectly. (Td5 pump is sprung for length)

Now this is getting interesting, is there a combined low pressure sender/pump that would fit in a tin 110 V8 tank that would

A tell the truth about the contents of the tank

B Not blow the pipes off the carbs

Cos it would be bloody useful and would mean I could intoner the side mounted sender that tells more lies than a politician....