Interior lighting.

Nigelw

D1 200Tdi and if I said the interior lighting was poor it would be an understatement!!

Not talking about when the doors are open, that was cured ages ago, the trouble is I can see nothing in the cab without the turning on the now ultra bright center light, but I want something else in there so that even when driving there is a given amount of light in there.

Has anyone else addressed this in their own Discovery? If so what did you do to give lighting in the dark and dingey cab at night?

It was so dark in there I could barely see the gear sticks at night!!!

I was busy wth fitting LED lamps into the small ventilation console last night and hope that the extra light output will help?

There was some sort of ambient LED lighting in the door card of a VW Passat that I drove a few weeks back, that was very pleasant as when I wanted to get out of an unfamiliar car, I didn't find myself fumbling for the door latch. Not sure how I could get something like that built into the door cards of the Disco though?

a couple of tactically placed red LED's could help, and saee your night vision,

That's a great idea, have done this on yachts. If you have the later style dash then there's scope for letting some lights into the overhang over the centre console. Personally I'd put them on a switch cause it's safer to have your lights on call rather than just on.

On my 110, I installed two green LEDs on the guage light circuit that are in my homemade centre console. The bottom of he he console is open and points down towards the transfer lever/gearstick area. The foot wells have a faint green glow now, not enought to affect vision - they are less bright than the glow of a sat nav say. I installed them so I could see my eberspacher control unit at night as that is mounted on the fuse box cover.

My bmw is similar with two LEDs in the roof, very dim and red, goves the cab a nice glow. I think mum and dads merc has so,e in the foot wells as well - again, all very faint.

The result of my LED fitting can be seen on page 12 of "Project Rusty" in the members vehicles forum :)

The LEDs i fitted came off a strip thing that I bought in the Lidl, they have a remote controller that allows them to be dimmed and as they have the ability to show a variety of colour spectrum I can choose between solid green, blue, white an blue and almost anything in between. The length was 5m long, got 4.5m left to play with and a load of connectors that could allow me to run them anywhere in the car to provide abient lighting of my choice in almost any colour!!