Daily driver 1 link conversion

That's a shame given that the suspension travel was so balanced beforehand.

Is it something that changing the spring rates would address ?

The suspension wasn't actually that well balanced, it had more on the front than can be had out of the rover radius arm setup, but the back moves a lot! I'm debating moving the batteries and squeezing in some 18" travel foxes

Nice fab work, I can't fault you for having a go.

Could you raise the panhard rod for a higher roll centre?

There's no where to go upward at the axle end, i'd have to lose bump travel which is a bit of a self depreciating circle.

What did you use to bend the cds?

it not really a bend, More of a bow! I did it with the wrong size former in the center push. :-)

What's the solution to the handling problems then dude? Or is it more of a 'get used to it' kind of thing?

Well I've done over 100 miles this weekend with the caravan on the back, beat roger in an rtv trial..........And I haven't died!

My thoughts are that I can live with it as is for now, but spirited b road driving is off the menu!

My observations are;

Offroad. Even with the far too short +2" ome shocks, the difference is quite impressive in an undramatic way, rides better across ruts, much more stable off camber, and I'm pretty sure it climbs better, and oddly it doesn't feel harsh at all. (It was very wet and slippery)

The climbing improvement is probably due to the old radius arm bushes being flogged out, possibly the 1 link being 25% longer than the radius arms plays into it as well.

On the road, I think its more taught feeling ( again probably due to flogged out bushes before) but I do have a lot more body lean, it is noticeably worse on long left had bends. Round abouts or long right handlers are sedate compared.

I think this is a product of the mass of the body pivoting on the panhard rod going left and compressing the panhard going right.

I am going to have a play about raising the roll center as Daan suggested earlier. On the back this is relatively straight forward the front is a little more involved.

I think this will be of a greater benifit than an antiroll bar which I see as more of a fix for the symptom rather than the actual problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I am back finally after a few months without a computer . Have to catch up with how the One linked Wrangler turned out Dan. Yes the patrol RA's are made of some carp alright. Workshops over here regularly snap the chassis ends off when attepting to undo the nuts to change bushings. And nobody ever attempt to bend them for castor correction, as they shatter.

Been playing around a bit with roll centre heights and comparing ease of articulation of both my antiroll bar equipped 86 RR and Wildfing. The RR's front wheels just seem to step up and over obstacles much more smoothly than the much higher roll centred wild one . A mate of mine replicated a RRC 3 link rear suspension on his very capable Suzuki Sierra, and shortly after I laid it on its side for him, trying to follow Wildfing's tracks, he lifted the rear roll centre at the A frame ball joint. He reckons the Suzi is much more stable now in the twisty off cambers, and it doesn't appear to me to have lost anything in off road ability, but he says that the rear end does wiggle a bit more on rough higher speed tracks.

However, riding shotgun in Wildfing last weekend on my knarliest gulley track, he did comment how my truck stays remarkably level, so who knows , suspension has become a bit of a black art to me lately.

• 2 weeks later...

You posted that same video just over four years ago. I did try for some time to find any photos of the car articulating as it uses the same type of bush that I am/have used/will be using again on the one link

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=62844&page=3#entry546669

:rofl: Senile at the age of 29, not boding well for my future then! :D I actually watched the whole thing and at no point did I think "wait, I've seen this before" :o

And you said almost exactly that ^^ when I pm'd you about the video in May 2013 :)

That's just downright scary then :D Tbh. maybe I haven't seen all of it before? I could've just skipped around in it, I often do that, and maybe my brain hasn't been able to connect the dots. It does feel very weird I must admit. Maybe I spend too much time in the workshop and my brain is all clogged up :D

• 3 months later...

I've just got used to the way it handles Ross.

It definitely climbs better than it ever has done. There is almost no down side I think.

I'm just building another at the moment for a different application. They are ticking all the boxes for me.

I think it would Ross. I have no antiroll bars and weigh 3.2 tons which cannot be helping, and I don't think mine is much worse than an early rangy.

Your 1 link should be able to live in the dead space under your engine very easily. Much easier than packaging an upper link on a 3 link system