Daily driver 1 link conversion

I started today thinking I was going to repair some more of the rot that is endemic to my patrol, namely the chassis rails has rotted out behind the front radius arm mountings,

DSC_1640_zps2d38329b.jpg

DSC_1643_zps16b36e96.jpg

But after i'd removed the radius arm mounting I found there was very little left of the chassis for about a foot each way! To do a proper repair would have also meant cutting the gearbox cross member mount off the chassis as well.

So I had a coffee , and decided I could kill several birds with one stone. Free up the front suspension travel and relive the original gearbox cross member and the radius arm mounts of their tasks meaning that I could just cut them off and repair the chassis once i'd finished the suspension.

The new cross member started off as 100x100x6 rhs.

DSC_1646_zpse839d58d.jpg

I had to cut away some of the top of the box section to clear the gearbox, but this allowed me to internally reinforce it.

DSC_1647_zps6f546105.jpg

New and old,

DSC_1649_zpsbf27e337.jpg

Cross member tacked in place with gearbox mountings either side of the bracket for the 3.0 ballistic joint.

DSC_1653_zps515bb9e5.jpg

DSC_1650_zpsd5eb3e48.jpg

DSC_1651_zps449176d3.jpg

Is the new x-member going to bolt on as well, or just be welded in ?

I was undecided, and in an ideal world it would be bolted in, but I think that my chassis will be a lot stronger for having it fully welded in. It will mean having to split the transfer box off the gearbox if I have to remove the box for any reason. But that's not the end of the world.

Nice to see the patrol getting some love

It really needed it, the chassis is very thin behind the radius arms.

Top fab work as usual Dan , will you run the standard panhard rod ?

Also what sort of spring/shocks?

cheers

Steveb

I'm going to run the stock panhard rod and my existing old man emu springs and shocks. It could do with much longer shocks but even with et-26 wheels my tyres are going to catch the spring seats so I may end up going for coilovers.

I've been cycling the front axle and the factory packaging is epically tight. I'm on to about plan z for the one link design.

A nice solution would have been to reuse the axle ends of the front radius arms. I had heard that the patrol arms aren't made out as nice stuff as landrover ones so I had a little play with the welder. They wouldn't mig at all without cracking immediately so I had a play with the tig, and although I managed a decent looking weld the piece of 10mm I welded on came off in 11 blows with the sledge hammer and looking at the weld it looks to have pulled a lot of impurities out of the cast arms. So that is another plan down the drain.

DSC_1659_zpshtl1z68w.jpg

DSC_1669_zpsqgyogftp.jpg

I was expecting you were welding the link directly to the axle? From the ones I have seen that used the original pickups, the link ended up massive to take the bending loads.

I presume you could make 3 links, 2 converging to the left and right rearward pickups and one to the top of the diff. All coming together at the same point, so still a one link, but with plenty of separation?

Use Land Rover radius arms? Didn't I read somewhere that the bolt spacing is the same as Nissan at the axle end, is it that a load of carp?

Patrol radius arms are the same fixing and spacing at the chassis as rovers, they're completely different at the axle end. I find it strange that rover, Toyota and Mercedes radius arms all weld really nicely but the Nissan ones don't?

I was expecting you were welding the link directly to the axle? From the ones I have seen that used the original pickups, the link ended up massive to take the bending loads.

I presume you could make 3 links, 2 converging to the left and right rearward pickups and one to the top of the diff. All coming together at the same point, so still a one link, but with plenty of separation?

There's not a straight shot at the rear face of the axle case the track bar is in the way, there is no space above the diff or most about anywhere else for that matter,

Dan a little ot but do disco 2 arms weld ok?

Looking forward to seeing the packaging.

Will.

I have welded D2 arms before with no issues.

This is the starting point for the link. The tube is 35mm od 6mm wall cds

DSC_1698_zpseewy1et7.jpg

Then I added the lower section of it this is 50x12 handrail

DSC_1699_zps3ngpszmb.jpg

Then on to the table for lots of added strength.

DSC_1701_zpssnvxzxzc.jpg

DSC_1704_zpsecsfum7n.jpg

DSC_1706_zpsi9xterbq.jpg

Nice fab table. Press brake tooling looks good

Gotta love a bit of handrail as a wearing surface

I'd love a 8x4 tee slotted table! My one is a nice size for brackets and smallish stuff its just a bit small.

Another £250 or so and the pressbrake will be fully tooled

I feel bad to criticise given the amount and quality of work there, but isn't that handrail below the track rod get absolutely nailed and bent upwards the first time it sees rocks? Any space for a rib along it's back?

• Like 1

I feel bad to criticise given the amount and quality of work there, but isn't that handrail below the track rod get absolutely nailed and bent upwards the first time it sees rocks? Any space for a rib along it's back?

Criticism is good!

The track bar moves in a huge arc, there's not much of its opening that isn't used when you factor in removing it.

The hand rail is 12mm thick and its only unsupported for 5" or so, time will tell.

I have bigger issues thought, it now handles like a tall ship! Makes a 2 door rangy look like its cornering flat!