Puma 6-speed Transmission mated to a 300Tdi Defender

mansky

From what I hear from a friend who owns a 2.4 110, the gearbox is a waste of time, first being lower than that of an LT or R380 and hardly ever used, so why would you?

Erm towing... lower crawl speed off road (HUGE POINT this one!!!!). Better in gear performance, lower cruising rpms. Higher mph per 1000rpm in top, better mpg.

My friend with the 2.4 110 lives near Wolverhampton and worked in Southampton, he was doing 30k miles a year at one point. He also takes it off-road frequently and regularly tows around 2 tonnes of miniature railway equipment. I think that makes him qualified to comment.

Actually having an LT230 with a 1.2 TXB I find first in low box still a bit too high geared for my own driving style and found that slipping the clutch gave control but creates future issues in time to come! Viability in a D1 behind a 200Tdi? God only knows :-P

My friend with the 2.4 110 lives near Wolverhampton and worked in Southampton, he was doing 30k miles a year at one point. He also takes it off-road frequently and regularly tows around 2 tonnes of miniature railway equipment. I think that makes him qualified to comment.

Maybe a 5 speed also is a waste of time vs a 4 speed manual box. Plenty of people used to and still use Series LR's off road and for towing...

Had few Puma's and lots of varieties of Defender previously so I'm qualified to comment....

Only thing I'd say is that if you go for it then check the condition of the adapter that connects the main to the transfer box. The splines can wear due to insufficient lubrication on assembly giving a clunky change at best and total and sudden loss of drive at worse.

• Like 1