Punch Challenge events

Lewis

Myself and a few friends want to try a competitive Punch Challenge event soon but none of us really know the craic.

I have a general idea - you drive around a site looking for punches, occaisonally regularly use the winch, and whoever scores the highest punches wins. But we really want to know everything else - what equipment its usual to take, which events to try first, that kind of thing.

I appreiciate that seeing is easier than explaining so can anyone recommend an event coming up thats local(ish) to the midlands where we can go along and watch? Sadly Slindon this weekend is too far :(

Sorry for so many vague quetions but I'll be extremely thankfull for any advice you can give :)

Cheers

Lewis

Erm, Marshalling as a novice is not really a good idea! However, spectating is definately a good starting point.

The best thing to do IMHO is to get out there and have a go.

You will need as a minimum:

• winch
  • winch sail
  • gloves
  • snatch block
  • rated shackles and strops
  • pair of waffles (not strictly essential, but will make life a lot easier)
  • good recovery points front and rear
  • winch biatch. :unsure:

Lewis

the first event me and Steve tried was a introductory challenge for beginners held by Buxton LR club at the Wormhough site just up the road from you. It was in May of last year. I think they will try and run another next year. You could do worse than to contact Garry Smith on 07973269740 since he is very local to you and was the organisor of said event. Otherwise just get yourselves along to any AWDC challenge and throw your self in at the deep end. Its a great learning experience!!

Mark

Nige

Many thanks for all the info - just read it all (nothing better to do at work :rolleyes: )

I'll have to talk to a few friends before i confirm but i think you can be expect an entry from at least 1 team, maybe 2, depends how many cars (and co-drivers) we can muster :)

Thanks again

Lewis

Lewis, yes, the best way to learn is to have a go. Get yourself a winch, winching gear, waffles and a winch bitch and see what happens. You'll soon find out what works and what doesn't and what you want to do to your vehicle.

The Midland Off Road club organise a fair few challenge events and have some very well know members. I'm not sure about who to contact, though.

Lewis, yes, the best way to learn is to have a go. Get yourself a winch, winching gear, waffles and a winch bitch and see what happens. You'll soon find out what works and what doesn't and what you want to do to your vehicle.

The Midland Off Road club organise a fair few challenge events and have some very well know members. I'm not sure about who to contact, though.

Bruce Turner is the main guy, but unfortunantly is stepping down this year to allow him to compete more. Hopefully one of the other stalwarts will rise to the challange!

Midland Off Road Club Web site

All local very good fun, great guys and something for all levels, easy punches as well as hard ideal for all levels of vehicle and experiance.

Tony

Nige

Many thanks for all the info - just read it all (nothing better to do at work :rolleyes: )

I'll have to talk to a few friends before i confirm but i think you can be expect an entry from at least 1 team, maybe 2, depends how many cars (and co-drivers) we can muster :)

Thanks again

Lewis

You couldnt forward it on to me could ya, would be most appreciated as i'm a nooooob too!

my advice would be dont throw your yourself in at the deep end without going to watch an event first and get an idea of whats going on and what kit you may need that dont currently have. its alot of money to enter a comp get there and find your missing something vital.

i for one certainly go along and watch an event with what ever club before competing with them especially as most will make you join the club to compete.

your wagon (looks speced from the thumbnail) needs ( Bishes list) but i would empahsis decent tyres, recovery point front and rear, first aid kit and some require a fire ext.

your right though for simple challenges its drive around looking for punches, decide what you want to do and go for it. (this is assuming you are competant with your wagon and have some winching exp, if you dont then go to a pay and play set up a scenario (somewhere quite out the way) and winch your self out practising double lining etc etc

just show up to James next event have a go and watch others as you go through the day.

best way is to just get going.

if you watch too much you may not like what you see.

ps along with First aid kit and extinguisher

basic toolkit is a good idea, not just a selection of hammers :)

Thanks to everyone for your advice, its given me plenty to think about. I'll probably see some of you at an event soon :)

your wagon (looks speced from the thumbnail) needs ( Bishes list) but i would empahsis decent tyres, recovery point front and rear, first aid kit and some require a fire ext.

The truck in my avatar is my completely standard 1968 S2a daily driver :D

My truck for off-roading is an 87 90 tdi with Gwyn Lewis suspension and little else at the moment, soon to be fitted with my M10000 when i make/buy a bumper, so i'm proper beginner level :)