Never mind Portals, try some of these

Ozyboy

They would be ok in snow, but LandRovers own cross country testing of similar but larger and heavier conversions by Cuthbertson in Scotland revealed that the small bogie wheels would burrow under obstacles such as steep banks etc, rather than climb up and over. Their solution to crosscountry mobility culminated in a LWB series 2 Landy fitted with wider stronger axles with hub reduction (not portal) gearing and

10.00/11.00 x 28'' tractor tyres. The vehicle was built by the then famous Roadless Traction LTD) in Hounslough and was known as the Forest Rover.

Bill.

The idea needs a little more development before becoming a viable solution to the question of crosscountry mobility. The forward bogie wheels of the tracks of a high mobility tank for example, are positioned several feet off the ground to assist in surmounting vertical or other high obstacles and prevent the afore mentioned burrowing under.

Bill.

im confused, the site says they are suitable for trucks up to 1 1/2 ton - then has a pic of a hummer running them?

as its a good excuse i'll post these pics, i think the 2nd one is the famous 'roadless tracton'

Gotta love that Roadless. If I haven't misread the Mattrax spec sheet you have to stop every 5 to 15 miles to let the tracks cool off if operating in ambient temperatures of 80 degrees F or higher. No good for desert work then?

Bill.

im confused, the site says they are suitable for trucks up to 1 1/2 ton - then has a pic of a hummer running them?

as its a good excuse i'll post these pics, i think the 2nd one is the famous 'roadless tracton'

By 1 1/2 tons....they don't mean the weight of the truck. It is a strange North American rating system for load capaicties. A "1 ton" truck is like a Ford F350. An F150 is a "1/2 ton" and a F250 is a "3/4 ton". These can normally carry around 2 tons though, so it is a strange screwy system....but everyone here "knows" what it means.

Gotta love that Roadless. If I haven't misread the Mattrax spec sheet you have to stop every 5 to 15 miles to let the tracks cool off if operating in ambient temperatures of 80 degrees F or higher. No good for desert work then?

Bill.

They are meant for snow Bill. Despite the "other" pictures, that is the only point. As I stated, they are not very practical for the reasons you have stated even on snow. If there is really too much snow for a wheeled vehicle, you need a proper tracked snow vehicle. You can never get low enough ground pressure with wheels or these Mattracks to drive on top of snow.

Be interesting how you would change the "tyres"

The early Cuthbertson conversions had pneumatic tyres that suffered numerous punctures, so later on they began fitting solids. There were only about 20 vehicles converted in all. Apparently in addition to the other series Landy weaknesses they used to eat clutch assemblies for breakfast.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...