Britpart Lynx

cress

Hi all, and happy new year.

Not just Disco related I know, Iv heard quite a lot of good press regarding the Lynx interface, so i went out and bought one.

Just as a heads up however i am having trouble activating the unit, I just rang Britpart who gave me another number to ring. The guy I need to speak to is still on holidays so i cant activate.

Just wish i knew that before i purchased it.

Cheers All

Ivan

I bought an IDTool http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool.html also from Britpart which does largely the same stuff - but uses the screen in the car + the steering wheel buttons instead of a PC (you can plug in a PC too). I figured that for most of the stuff I might want to adjust (Suspension height for example), i'd prefer not to have to have a PC on hand.

I've been pretty impressed with it so far.

Si

When I saw the title I thought Britpart had diversified into producing deoderants :o

well, it is christmas lol. The point I was poorly trying to impress was the fact that for £300 you can buy a interface to access your cars systems, but you have to wait to use it cause one guy is on holiday. ffs......... thats whats pi**ed me off. I have since found that the company who britpart engaged with to create this tool "Omitec" have been bought out by "Continental" the tyre people. So in the future you may buy continental tyres but have to wait for the guy to come off his hols to fit them maybe???? . lol

So would you like me to phone you up for a moan / tech help when YOU are on holiday ? Why should everything/everybody be available 24/7/365 ?

absolutely not,, but as a company shouldnt there be other support in place, and in this day and age of hi tec, how about automated web systems.

In addition does this mean I should'nt have paid for it till it worked?????? lol I must admit I was a little shocked when Britpart HQ could not help, but that said it is Britpart.

I think you answered your own question.

Omitec have some very clever people working for them,some of whom I have got to know since 2003 when I bought the T4 Testbook system.Close to £11000.

Britpart would not understand a diagnostic system if it smacked them in the face.... They clearly made an arrangement with Omitec to supply and give backup,but at the price you paid that is clearly not 24/7.

Omitec have some very clever people working for them,some of whom I have got to know since 2003 when I bought the T4 Testbook system.Close to £11000.

Britpart would not understand a diagnostic system if it smacked them in the face.... They clearly made an arrangement with Omitec to supply and give backup,but at the price you paid that is clearly not 24/7.

seems your taking this far too seriously, all i am saying is if anyone buys this unit either for personal or trade use, dont expect professional support from Britpart, no disrespect intended towards your colleagues who put the system together. As in my first post I have heard good reports on this system. Sorry if my attempt at conveying my own experience has caused offence. ;-)

Yep, agree with that. Omitec used to make the LR T4 for dealers, and it was even more expensive then IIRC!

• 2 weeks later...

well tuesday the 6th saw an email arrive with the activation code. I must say, for the price this unit is very impressive. As previously stated by Ally V8, the Testbook system for trade use cost in excess of £11000, for £299 ish (for one vehicle type) there are a lot of similar functions available. I will add Richard Pigg from Britpart was quite helpful during the registration process.

The unit itself I can highly recomend.

:)

• 2 years later...

Just to confirm, after purchasing the Lynx product specific for a certain model (in my case a defender) which arrives with activation code included in the paperwork, I then have to contact Britpart before I can get that code activated?

Edited by gerrymc123

Yes I do have the guide and also a 16 character activation code which I tried but it failed, I was wondering do i have to contact Omitec to register the Lynx before that code becomes authenticated. This is a brand new item which included the "Unlock Code - Home" card, it's not a 2nd user unit with the code scribbled on a piece of paper so i thought that being the case after inserting the code it would've been ready for immediate use.

Did so and got a reply today with the activation code, 20 characters in blocks of 5, apparently the 16 character unlock code that comes with the unit ISN'T the activation code. Unfortunately even after inputting this new set of characters the unit is still failing to activate so another email has been sent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2017 at 8:52 PM, gerrymc123 said:

Did so and got a reply today with the activation code, 20 characters in blocks of 5, apparently the 16 character unlock code that comes with the unit ISN'T the activation code. Unfortunately even after inputting this new set of characters the unit is still failing to activate so another email has been sent.

I have a lynx unit and mine too wouldn't work. It turned out the unit itself was broken. Needed it changed. So then had the hassle of sending back and getting another. Also another problem is why is it a 0845 I think number why not a 0800 continental are huge so can cope with the line cost. I did get another unit finally and had to re activate it. It is a good bit of kit just would of. Even nice to have it working out of the. Ok. I also need another code now as have a d2 that needs a £180 code. Bit high for something already expensive. Just my moan of the day. Oh ye the gearbox seals that britpart do are total rubbish and leak more than the original I had !!!!