Swivel Rebuild Advice

Hi All

I Know this has probably been covered across numerous threads in the past but...

The time has come for me to completely rebuild my swivels, I plan to use all new parts (gaskets, seals, balls, grease, pins & Bearings)

I was just wondering if anyone can give some advice on parts, which are the best to buy for my money and where from and is there any brands I should steer clear of?

Thanks

Tom

Dont know where in you part of the world, always use Timken bearings dont buy from the dealer.

Corteco seals just as good as geniune but way cheaper, gaskets from the guys you are getting the other parts never seen any of them have a brand concern.

I don't think you can avoid teflon balls these days.£70-80 is the going rate. If something looks cheap it's made of cheese.

Agree corteco for the seals if not genuine. Timken or NSK for the bearings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-SWIVEL-PIN-BEARING-TIMKEN-OE-606666-G-/390371014590

I did my swivel rebuilds with the best and most affordable parts I could find and it came out about £120 per side, mostly using http://www.shop4autoparts.net

Get the brake pipe brackets from Bearmach. Cut a slot in the brake pipe hole so you can move the calipers out the way in future for hub removals without having to bleed the brakes.

post-18025-0-66995100-1421504981_thumb.jpg

The Bearmach versions are made of a single sheet of metal which means to can get a socket on the bolt fully in future. The genuine item has a raised area around half of the bolt which means it's easy to round off:

post-18025-0-62593300-1421505154_thumb.jpg

Replace the flexi hose to caliper brake pipes at the same time, as they're most likely corroded and can be an easy MOT fail.

Get stainless M6 x 12mm bolts for the swivel seal retainer bracket