Electric Fan / Fans for a V8 Defender

610 x 410 x 100mm

With a bit of trimming it just clipped into the RRC rad frame, so the cowling edge is ~1mm off the core, there's just one screw holding the whole thing in. Obviously needed to remove the brackets from outside of the cowling, but that is was a slitting disc is for....

Best electric fan I've found so far is from Citroen C5/C6 and Peugeot 607 V6 (2.7 or 3-litre) Diesels *with air conditioning*. Made by a company called "Autogamma" in Italy, and shifts prodigious amounts of air - enough to cool a big-block Ford V8 in a friend's Ford GT40-replica.

http://www.michelecaroli.com/motor_cooling_fans.asp?id=1563&gm=GA201256

These beasties have a 460-Watt continuously-rated motor! you'll need to design a wiring-loom capable of handling at least 45 Amps continuous load, with 80 Amp fusing so it doesn't blow when the fan starts. And don't even think of applying power to one of these fans without bolting it down - the startup torque is enough to make them real lethal wrist-snappers.

SPAL make fans for a lot of people, the FL ones I used are GATES, another common OE, you've got to assume LR rate them for mud & water. An 80W fan sounds pretty weedy, the FL ones can pop a 20A fuse each so likely pushing the 200W mark.

This is the best photo I've got showing depth, all bits (rad etc.) being standard Defender V8 position albeit P38 lump/front-end.

IMG_2983.JPG

Stumbled upon a box yesterday that contained an X-fan that I forgot I even had! I really need to set about sorting out all the various boxes I have laying around.

Anyway the point is I may as well utilise the damn thing. So I had a quick search on eBay and found http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151280558436?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Seem pretty good value. There only 80W but should still be ok seeing as I'm using 2 fans.

although probably not very waterproof they should suit my rear rad mount nicely(sits high so unlikely to get dunked). many thanks for the heads up im gonna give them a go.

Cheers fridge, I had a chat with revotec at Peterborough and they did a deal on a dedicated defender v8 twin fan kit. Defiantly an improvement over the single fan.

Just had a look at their defender v8 kit. The custom brackets look very nice but at £280 for the kit it's not cheap.

The problem is they give no details of the fans. Just says "high power".. What is the wattage of the fans?