Chassis

Hi all, I'm rebuilding my defender 90 and putting in a 3.5 efi v8 with disco 300 running gear. I'm thinking of putting a galv chassis under her, would I be better off buying a 300 chassis so the gearbox bolts in the right place and then just bolt on some mounting brackets or by a v8 chassis and see how the gear box fits?

Really confused on what to do so any help would be much appreciated by and one who has done it or knows on what to do :)

What exactly do you mean by "disco 300 running gear"?

If your not planning to spend ££££ on a spanking new galv chassis, all you need is any decent chassis that used an R380 gearbox. The transmission mounts will be in correct place. Bolt engine and transmission together and temporarily mount transmission to chassis mounts. This then gives you the position to weld your engine mounts.

Then remove engine and transmission. Repair chassis in usual places. Send chassis off to be galvanised. Job done.

I'd buy the V8 chassis and then get a 300 crossmember, these bolt in so you won't ruin your glav finish welding in V8 engine mounts. I could be wrong but this is what i found when i researched something similar

Thanks for the help western

Need4speed I ment 300 gearbox , transfer box and axles, I suppose what your saying would be a lot cheaper in all fairness, start from scratch on a decent chassis and get that galvanised

Thanks for the help

yes you need to be very careful and I dont believe you can "just galv any old chassis and use it" for your rebuild.

Its been covered in the forum(s) many many times so well worth searching .. but in summary either the original chassis or a brand new galv chassis that’s never been used if you want to keep out of Q plate and SVA territory

Have a read here as it might help you decide what to do

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles

Thanks for all the help and advise, Ye I'm sorting that out from Ashcroft, so what's the difference in the way the gearbox is mounted from the lt77 and r380? And am I right in thinking that I would be better off with a 300 chassis then bolt on the engine mounts?

If it were me I'd be trying to find as late a td5 chassis as possible. More chance of it being in reasonably easy to repair condition.

You will be wanting to get a GOOD welder to do the engine mounts for you. You really don't want chewing gum welding holding the mounts on.