Series 3 doesn't engage in any high range gear

russellc

The gearbox was getting stuck in 3rd gear. Encouraged by the gearbox rebuilt info online I set to it. Removed the gearbox, clutch housing, castle bolt and pulled out the Mainshaft and layshaft. I was surprised to find that there were no springs on the 3rd/4th synchromesh and the inside gear on the 1st/2nd synchromesh was broken. No pieces of metal in the oil either. I put new springs on the 3rd/4th sychro and replaced the 1st/2nd Sychro gear, then put it all back together. Felt like a tight fit, everything rotated as it seemed it should. Tightened up the castle bolt with a new lock washer, fitted the bell housing a a new clutch actuator. Laboured for hours getting the gear box into the vehicle, trying to line up the mainshaft into the clutch ( is there an easy way to do this?!) . Finally got lucky and bolted the clutch housing tight. Filled the oil, bled the clutch. Ready to try...

It will not engage in any high range gear but will in low range! It changes gears nicely? Just will not engage when the clutch pedal is released. I can move in low range forward and reverse. What have I stuffed up?

I'll attach a video if I can...

Most likely to be an issue with your floor and transmission tunnel not letting the hi/low lever engage fully if you haven't rebuilt the transfer box.

Try checking that you are getting full movement on the lever.

i had to bend the high/low lever on mine as it was hitting the tunnel. in that video that lever looks very close to the lip on the bulkhead? does it touch it?

check your engine mounts, make sure you haven't pushed the engine forward if (like me) you got a bit angry when the clutch wouldn't line up!

The ball for the transfer lever does not appear to be fitting correctly in the bracket of the lever / shaft.

Have you fitted the lower pivot point in the correct position?

Ie the right side of the alloy casing at base.

from memory think the steel should be at the rear of the alloy of the casing.