Removing Plastic Coating

dave1607

Hi All

I have a NAS style rear tow step that is looking a little bit shabby so I want to get it powder coated to generally tidy it up a bit, I visited the powder coaters and he informed me that it was plastic coated so he wouldn't be able to blast the old coating off. He suggested that the best way to get it off would be to burn it off in a bonfire. Now the theory of this seems to make sense but I'm not sure I'm too keen to just chuck it on the fire and see what happens, can anyone think of a reason why this would or wouldn't be a good idea, or has anyone managed to remove plastic coating before.

Thanks

Dave

You might make it soft, not sure if that matters with what your doing with it? If you want to burn it off I'd try a blow lamp to stop the steel getting as hot just try not to inhale too many fumes. How much is a replacement compared to messing about and the powder coat.

Also my towbar had gone scabby so I had it blasted, hot dipped then powder coated. Cost about £90 I think. The hot dip was under £7+vat. Might be worth it if your putting all this work in? (Witter towbar fitted by the main dealer, started to go within the first year, spent the next 2 years on and off trying to get it replaced under the vehicle warranty with no luck, why they don't galv from new is a mystery!)

10644900_10152777548191579_5395194146377

10675693_10152777548376579_8770019596333

Thanks for the replies. The warping and affecting the strength is what I am most worried about as it will be used for towing. The powder coating chap quoted £30 to £40 for the powder coating if I can get the plastic coating off myself, a new one is about £350 so I think it's definitely worth the effort if I can do it.

Think I'll have a go with hot air gun or the blow lamp, if that fails then I'll give the grinder and wire brush a go. The galvanising followed by powder coat is a good shout, will look into that if I can get it stripped.

Dave

I have previously tried a wire twist cup on a grinder and also the blow torch/scraper method but sadly without much luck. A quote for shotblasting was very expensive so in the end I lit a fire in an oil drum and threw the parts in. It will come out with a funny coating but that is quickly removed with a twist cup.

Never yet had a problem with items warping, even with small things like body cappings and light guards but don't do it near to your neighbours washing line!

A bonfire looks better & better!

Si