ARP head bolt install

skauldy

Guys,

At the stage to fit my ARP head bolts. Done a Google search and all kinds of advice, don't follow instructions, do follow, wet torque, dry torque, 60 lbs ft, 90 lbs ft

What is the advice here. Also I bought them about 2 years ago and I think this lube came with them. Is this he stuff to use if I a, going to wet torque them.

Thanks

Shanepost-50869-0-01303800-1441541389_thumb.jpg

The supplied lube is fine. I can't remember how much I torqued up to, but I know it wasn't as high as what ARP recommended.

I asked Ray at v8 developments.

Someone with a better memory than me will be along shortly ;)

Edit: my apologies. I used v8 developments own head bolts. Think I'm suffering from early Alzheimer's..

I have just been through this process with a 4.0/4.6 - I assume you mean ARP studs not ARB bolts.

The ARP advice is to go to 100lbs but I assume that is with a new block that has never had the OEM stretch bolts in them. People talk about torquing to LR specs but I dont know what they are as the LR specs are to torque to a certain level and then further tighten so many extra degrees - so who knows what the actual torque is.

I had the same issue as you - mixed messages. I had a damaged repaired thread and was assured that 90lbs would be good. I did one head that did not have the damaged thread and went to 90lbs no real issue. On the other head the damaged thread failed at 70lbs so I had it repaired properly and went again - again advice was varied but a local mechanic whose advice I valued said 65-70 would be OK but as I am a moderately hi comp I went to 75lbs and had no issues.

You must only tighten the studs to finger tight in the block and the threads must be clean. You must use the correct ARP thread lube on the nut end threads, on the washers and on all mating surfaces and torque in three steps in the correct sequence.

Based on my experience and the advice I recieved - some good, some bad is to go between 60lbs to 75lbs - 60 is maybe a little low and Ok for a low comp where 75 is at the hi end.

If I had to pick a magic number it would be 70lbs.

Good luck with it.

Garry

I have just been through this process with a 4.0/4.6 - I assume you mean ARP studs not ARB bolts.

The ARP advice is to go to 100lbs but I assume that is with a new block that has never had the OEM stretch bolts in them. People talk about torquing to LR specs but I dont know what they are as the LR specs are to torque to a certain level and then further tighten so many extra degrees - so who knows what the actual torque is.

I had the same issue as you - mixed messages. I had a damaged repaired thread and was assured that 90lbs would be good. I did one head that did not have the damaged thread and went to 90lbs no real issue. On the other head the damaged thread failed at 70lbs so I had it repaired properly and went again - again advice was varied but a local mechanic whose advice I valued said 65-70 would be OK but as I am a moderately hi comp I went to 75lbs and had no issues.

You must only tighten the studs to finger tight in the block and the threads must be clean. You must use the correct ARP thread lube on the nut end threads, on the washers and on all mating surfaces and torque in three steps in the correct sequence.

Based on my experience and the advice I recieved - some good, some bad is to go between 60lbs to 75lbs - 60 is maybe a little low and Ok for a low comp where 75 is at the hi end.

If I had to pick a magic number it would be 70lbs.

Good luck with it.

Garry

They are probably talking about the older non yeild head bolts which are 65-70lbs. I would also guess that the ARP recomendation is based on preloading the bolt to around 70% yeild however it sounds like the rover castings are not strong enough for that.

• 9 months later...

Guy's

Sorry to dig this up but i'm finally getting around to this, one last question, i'm about to torque, have lubed up washers and nuts, do i just jump in at 70lbs or do i biuld up gradually as it says in the instal method with the kit