paint reaction

Hi

Just getting ready to repaint my defender. Bonnet rubbed down and painted in the new colour - all good.

Body is pretty much repaired and prepped with one small problem.

In a couple of areas of ended up rubbing down to bare ally.

Sprayed etch prime onto these areas and getting a reaction to the etch prime.

Whats the fix?

Thanks in anticipation. Need to get her painted and put back together.

Ian

Presume the etch is reacting with old paint surrounding the bare aly?

The old paint could be made using a base that reacts with the chemicals in the etch, and you're probably applying etch too heavily.

I would suggest sanding it back off till all trace of reaction is gone, wipe area with degreaser/panel wipe and then reapplying the etch primer but only with a light dusting. Don't spray it on like you would a colour coat, it's just to provide a light key into the metal. Apply primer or colour coat not long after etch has dried.

Yeh, but if you 'dust' an etch it won't etch because there won't be enough active acid to cut through the oxide ( I was told by the supplier of the two pack aircraft grade etch primer) .

A good coat of etch is better but we arent dealing with new bare metal, there needs to be some compromise here - and using a sealer or stabiliser stuffs the etch anyway.

if you take all the old paint off completely the problem will (probably) go away, sticking anything on to stop the reaction will be counter productive.

caused me to dig out the paperwork for some 2k I have here :

it suggests dust coat and over coat if you need high build, anyway YMMV :-)

I have some brush on etch which I was given years ago and I've never seen anything stick like it. I have no idea what it is apart from the fact its blue! but I'll be sad when it runs out and it only gets used on MY projects.