How far afield??

Paul64

I have read lots about trips to the South of France, Spain and even North Africa. Has anyone been further afield with UK as departure point? In other words driven further, not had landy shipped.

What sort of support did you have, ie mechanics, medical, logistical?

Any photos?

Cheers, Paul.

I did 2000 miles around western Europe this summer with breakdown recovery, a fist-sized first aid kit, a couple of spanners and wheel bearings / UJs, and a tolerable command of 'survival' French and German. All was well, advice ranged from 'take a spare vehicle for parts' to 'take only your credit and breakdown cards'.

i drove to Morocco this summer, ferry to bilbao then 650 mile blast down through spain to Algecerias to catch the ferry to morocco...

we did 2,800 miles in 19 days, some of which was in 50 degree heat...

although we had the security of going with an organised trip, there were very few vehicle problems, my alternator packed up about half way around, but someone had a spare, and it turned out that mine was a carp recon, which if i'd spotted before i went i'd have changed anyway.

morocco is full of garages who'll do a reasonable job for sensible money, certainly good enough to get you home...

the secret is good prep... i changed the clutch, timing belt, water pump, all wheel bearings, all brake pads, all shocks and many other parts before i went... and i'm sure it payed off.

if you have any doubts about any part of your truck, change it before you go anywhere... other problems on our trip included suspension bushes (carp Britpart ones) failing, propshaft UJ's, a bit of bother with overheating and a couple of dodgy wheel bearings.

i'd have no worries about going further afield, particularly in a group of 2-3 vehicles.

as for pictures.... heres a few...

salt lake on the Algerian border...

med_gallery_169_179_31187.jpg

stuck in the Sahara

med_gallery_169_179_1420719.jpg

in the atlas mountains

med_gallery_169_179_40099.jpg

on the Dakar rally route..

med_gallery_169_179_50182.jpg

going on an organised trip is a good way to get into the whole overlanding thing... you can see what works for you, what you need to take, and where your comfort zone is...

the internet is full of people who'll tell you that you can drive around the world with just a Gerber and a toothbrush, and others who reckon you need nothing less than a 40' motor home with a butler and a jacuzzi...

the only way to find out what you'd be happy to travel with or without is to get out a do a trial run.

That looks like a fantastic trip!

Did you all have aircon with temps like that?

Did anyone perform med cover if required in the desert?

Great photos, and good advice about the preparation. Can be a make or break of a trip.

Cheers, Paul.

it was a fantastic trip, a realy good experience.

we do have aircon in our disco, but only about 50% of the vehicles on the trip had it, one guy who took a soft top 90 saw in cab temperatures of 60 degrees C!!!!!

we didn't use the aircon when driving in the sand, as it saps too much engine power, and believe me, you need every last scrap of hoursepower in deep sand :rolleyes:

as for medical cover, we all carried first aid kits, and the expedition leader had a very big first aid kit, and a Satalite phone... we were probably never more than a days hard driving from a town of some sort... beyond that.. you've got to take risks in life, and unless you travel with a paramedic or doctor, with a truck full of medical supplies, i can't see how you'd be any better off than us...

there are a few companies running trips to Morocco and other north african destinations, our trip cost no more than a decent two week holiday to a premium destination..... but was a bit more exciting ;)

i've also done the 4x4 thing in Australia (when you have an accident that requires surgical work, and you are 6-8 hours drive from town, your survival instincts kick in, bigtime.... Australia is massive!) Croatia, Bosnia (fantastic place) Slovenia, Austria, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Wales....

m@tt.

We were planning driving round Norway, Finland & Sweden for a while, then another child came along and put the bockers on that trip somewhat as there not the cheapest of locatons to visit with a large family.....

Now were off to Southern France & Northern Spain in June, driving all the way. Bare in mind I live 50 mile from Scotland, then it gets up to 1100 mile to south of france. I'd be suprised if we didn't hit 3500 miles in 14days. With a defender full of kids as well! Must be bloody mad. :blink:

Jas

Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia (in laws), Hungary, Croatia, Estonia, Bosnia (sooooo pretty), Western Euro stuff, South Africa (epic).

most support ever taken is when racing (lots)

99.9% of the time the sum total of support is a notepad and pencil, paperwork, few magazines, blanket, fags, credit card - sorted :)

Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia (in laws), Hungary, Croatia, Estonia, Bosnia (sooooo pretty), Western Euro stuff, South Africa (epic).

most support ever taken is when racing (lots)

99.9% of the time the sum total of support is a notepad and pencil, paperwork, few magazines, blanket, fags, credit card - sorted :)

I see your point. Most people wouldn't see more than a couple of serious RTA's in their life time. I have seen the end results of hundreds. Worked in a remote hospital in Romania, and all I will say is you don't want to have an accident there! To be honest seeing so many has made me a bit paranoid about safety.

Been to Russia, Morocco, Libya, Croatia, France and spent 3 years in OZ working /travelling around. Mines the Blue Discovery.

Ivan

Such incredible photos Ivan. Great adventures! Did you go as part of a club or tour company? It must of been expensive getting to Libya?

Thanks very much for sharing the photos.

Paul

We were planning driving round Norway, Finland & Sweden for a while, then another child came along and put the bockers on that trip somewhat as there not the cheapest of locatons to visit with a large family.....

Now were off to Southern France & Northern Spain in June, driving all the way. Bare in mind I live 50 mile from Scotland, then it gets up to 1100 mile to south of france. I'd be suprised if we didn't hit 3500 miles in 14days. With a defender full of kids as well! Must be bloody mad. :blink:

Jas

Kids will love it. We took our two girls when they were knee high with us to the arctic. We managed to find a perspex (not sure if that is correct spelling) bubble covered sled. Chucked the kids in there with a load of furs, then hitched to the back of a skidoo. They had a great time, especially ice fishing on the lakes.

They are a bit older now, and want to go shopping for pink things. So most of my annual adventure trips these days are alone.

it was a fantastic trip, a realy good experience.

we do have aircon in our disco, but only about 50% of the vehicles on the trip had it, one guy who took a soft top 90 saw in cab temperatures of 60 degrees C!!!!!

we didn't use the aircon when driving in the sand, as it saps too much engine power, and believe me, you need every last scrap of hoursepower in deep sand :rolleyes:

as for medical cover, we all carried first aid kits, and the expedition leader had a very big first aid kit, and a Satalite phone... we were probably never more than a days hard driving from a town of some sort... beyond that.. you've got to take risks in life, and unless you travel with a paramedic or doctor, with a truck full of medical supplies, i can't see how you'd be any better off than us...

there are a few companies running trips to Morocco and other north african destinations, our trip cost no more than a decent two week holiday to a premium destination..... but was a bit more exciting ;)

m@tt.

I suppose it is like a mechanic who would prepare for the worst regarding his vehicle. I am the same with health care. In Transylvania my friends always used to take the tiddle out of me for carrying a rucsac sized med kit with me everywhere. They soon apreciated it though when one of them needed suturing after slicing through his hand with a bread knife in a remote village!

Had to suture myself once as well when bottle of beer broke in my hand when trying to open it with a lighter. One of my mates had to tie off sutures with granny knots, as only one hand available. He told me in a reassuring voice that his brother was an orthopaedic surgeon! Puked while doing it. Such a waste of beer!

Sarf Africa and bits between in '86,'90 and '95

West Africa, East Africa once or twice

Istanbul

Romania 90 and 92

Belarus 94

Top of scandinavia for a look at Nord Cap

Europe once or twice

Kent

Yugoslavia in '87

Greece

a bit in Sarf America and a bit in Norf America

bits of Oz - mainly Sandy...

Newcastle in '97 (bit iffy that one)

Wales

Done cr*p support and superdooper support and got very good at baksheesh!

Peru has the best memories of all

Istanbul

Romania 90 and 92

Belarus 94

Europe once or twice

Kent

Yugoslavia in '87

Greece

Wales

You are well travelled.

Where were you in ROM 90 + 92?

I also heard on the grapevine you are the best teacher in LR recovery around?

I suppose it is like a mechanic who would prepare for the worst regarding his vehicle. I am the same with health care. In Transylvania my friends always used to take the tiddle out of me for carrying a rucsac sized med kit with me everywhere. They soon apreciated it though when one of them needed suturing after slicing through his hand with a bread knife in a remote village!

Had to suture myself once as well when bottle of beer broke in my hand when trying to open it with a lighter. One of my mates had to tie off sutures with granny knots, as only one hand available. He told me in a reassuring voice that his brother was an orthopaedic surgeon! Puked while doing it. Such a waste of beer!

I totally understand... we did a trip accross the snowy mountains in Australia in 2000, and one of the guys on our trip had an accident and fell down a ravine... we winched him around 25' straight up with a Turfor, and carried him about a mile, up a stream on a streacher made from branches, he had ripped some of the ligaments that attached his leg to his torso.. and was going into shock, fast.

two guys from our party had to drive for about 3 hours to get a mobile/ radio signal and get the emergency services up to us... a helicopter came to collect him and took him to Melbourne hospital, where he had surgery to fix the damage to his leg...

I reckon if we'd been another couple of hours into the back country he might have not been so lucky, as the shock might have done him in...

very sobering day.... made even more so when we found out that a Tasmanian guy we were with had lost around half his family in a boating accident, which happened at almost exactly the same time...

probably the most intense day of my life.

I totally understand... we did a trip accross the snowy mountains in Australia in 2000, and one of the guys on our trip had an accident and fell down a ravine... we winched him around 25' straight up with a Turfor, and carried him about a mile, up a stream on a streacher made from branches, he had ripped some of the ligaments that attached his leg to his torso.. and was going into shock, fast.

two guys from our party had to drive for about 3 hours to get a mobile/ radio signal and get the emergency services up to us... a helicopter came to collect him and took him to Melbourne hospital, where he had surgery to fix the damage to his leg...

I reckon if we'd been another couple of hours into the back country he might have not been so lucky, as the shock might have done him in...

very sobering day.... made even more so when we found out that a Tasmanian guy we were with had lost around half his family in a boating accident, which happened at almost exactly the same time...

probably the most intense day of my life.

Sounds like you guys handled it very well with a good result. It does make you think though about the dangers, and basic prep (1st aid training and kit) in my opinion is just as important as preparing the vehicle.

Istanbul

Romania 90 and 92

Belarus 94

Europe once or twice

Kent

Yugoslavia in '87

Greece

Wales

Did you drive from the UK to all these places? I think that was the original question?

Chris

Main Land Rover this year?

UK to Poland (via boring bits) ,Lithunia, Latvia, Estonia, Ferry to Stockholm, across to Tronheim to join Norwegian national event. Down to Denmark for the Danish 30th national. Across to Sweden or thir event. Up to Nord Kapp, down Finland back to the Baltic countries. Across Ukraine to Romania then turned back west towards UK via Hungary Slovekia etc.

Mainly as a solo vehicle. Vehicle prep is the key

Do not want to think of total fuel bill. Well worth it. If you have a dream go live it

Regards

Leeds

PS Peru is good, NZ even better, Nepal superb, SE Asia is fun

hahaaa... like it....Africa & easern Europe and my old home town gets noted as "a bit iffy"........and probably quite rightly so....

PS. As the thread seems to have wandered slightly into medical care, what do you lot do? I'm a Resuscitation Officer. Basically I attend cardiac arrests in hospital, but mostly ~I teach emergency care techniques to health care staff. Anything from resuscitation of the newborn to anaphylaxis or airway management etc... A glorified lecturer with management thrown in. Possibly because of this I tend to take a very basic first aid kit. I have one or two collegues who seem to carry a trunk full of excessive stuff with them in their cars near home, let alone on a tour.

Jas

Main Land Rover this year?

UK to Poland (via boring bits) ,Lithunia, Latvia, Estonia, Ferry to Stockholm, across to Tronheim to join Norwegian national event. Down to Denmark for the Danish 30th national. Across to Sweden or thir event. Up to Nord Kapp, down Finland back to the Baltic countries. Across Ukraine to Romania then turned back west towards UK via Hungary Slovekia etc.

Mainly as a solo vehicle. Vehicle prep is the key

Do not want to think of total fuel bill. Well worth it. If you have a dream go live it

Regards

Leeds

PS Peru is good, NZ even better, Nepal superb, SE Asia is fun

Thanks Leeds,

Sounds great! Any photos? Did you camp on the trip? Where did you go in Romania?

Cheers, Paul

hahaaa... like it....Africa & easern Europe and my old home town gets noted as "a bit iffy"........and probably quite rightly so....

PS. As the thread seems to have wandered slightly into medical care, what do you lot do? I'm a Resuscitation Officer. Basically I attend cardiac arrests in hospital, but mostly ~I teach emergency care techniques to health care staff. Anything from resuscitation of the newborn to anaphylaxis or airway management etc... A glorified lecturer with management thrown in. Possibly because of this I tend to take a very basic first aid kit. I have one or two collegues who seem to carry a trunk full of excessive stuff with them in their cars near home, let alone on a tour.

Jas

Hi Jas I'm beginning to think we may have met at some time.

Personnally I'm into carrying less but for me with limited medic knowledge having too much becomes a burden and can cause confusion in a crisis. I can recall lugging fluids arround as part of our std kit, I carried it but the medics had to use it. Similarl story with many drugs (and it seems the ones that were favored you can't get over the counter anyway).

ABC and a fast route to expert help covers a lot, though I can recall applying sutures in a bar once :rolleyes: