Fitting towing electrics

I've only experience of my 110 but I'm sure things will be similar. Look in the offside rear of the tub, in front of the rear lamps (remove the little metal cover if it's fitted. In there is a bunch of cables coming up from beneath and as well as connecting into the rear lamps you should see that there are bullet sockets ready and waiting for the towing loom 7 core.

There are double bullets which allow two cables to connect to one - and it's the spare ways in these that facilitate the connection.

Be careful though as bullets get tarnished and they are hard to clean but it's worth trying to do it.

You can get the wire colours and hence the connections (12N standard) to the socket in the Electrical diagram which is in the tech archive on this forum I think.

The trailer lamp on the dash will already be wired in to the indicator circuit so no need to worry about that and the flasher relay is big enough to cope with the additional load from the extra turn lamps on the trailer.

So you just spliced into cluster loom, what about having a trailer interaction light on the dash?

Correct, the Series looms and the defender looms I've played with have all had spare sockets in the the various wires to plug into with 5mm bullets.

For the repeater, on my 88 I have a buzzer which again I bought as a pre-wired kit. Connect in as instructed, tuck behind light guard, remove from behind light guard again and wrap in a rag 'cos the damn thing's so noisey, tuck behind light guard again and bolt back up.

To have a light on the dash need only be a case of running a cable back to the dash. I'll need to look at the wiring diagram to sort it out, and all of a sudden things are so bloody manic I haven't got time to sit down!

So you just spliced into cluster loom, what about having a trailer interaction light on the dash?

The trailer icon on the dash should illuminate when a trailer/light board is connected...there is no wire back to the dash. The internal setup of the relay operates the trailer icon when a greater load than the standard 4x21w +2x5w setup is detected. My Led indicators came with an adjustable relay which had to be tweaked once the trailer was connected to allow the indicators on the trailer to operate correctly and flash the trailer icon.

As a 95 300 Tdi, there shouldn't be bullets for the rear lights it should have econoseal connectors and a towing socket plug behind the offside wheelarch mudflap.

Mo

Really ?? My 1995 build 1996 reg 300di had bullet connectors there until I changed them to Lucar connections