Bl**dy Sunroofs

jeremy996

I have a 1989 110 CSW with tinted windows, cloth seats, rear wash wipe and the epitome of 80's excess, the tilt-removeable sunroof.

Like every other sunroof on every other car, but worse, it leaks onto the driver or the driver's seat leading to a wet backside. Has anyone got a fix that works, other than panellling the hole shut?

The last attempt was petroleum jelly on the frame seal which worked for a whole week - I had a soggy ar*e on the way to Tescos this morning.

Like every other sunroof on every other car, but worse, it leaks onto the driver or the driver's seat leading to a wet backside. Has anyone got a fix that works, other than panellling the hole shut?

Other than panelling the hole shut? Errm how about a safari roof? :lol:

Coat, door and exit!

I got condensation and leaks from my sunroof....

Cleaned the seals up last weekend and did the petroleum jelly trick.. Still leaks... Now contemplating silicon sealing and then roof replacement when I can find one !

Landmannn, why close those vents up at the back ??

Oh no... Ralph.. Reading all of your words of wisdon is adding to my list.... No matter how hard I work at clearing hte list, you always suggest more things I need to do.....

Curse you.. (In a kind and friendly way..)

better get some done then, instead of poking around the infernalnet :hysterical:

From memory the vents were fitted to the csw models to help the ventilation and stop the widows fogging up carrying loads of passengers.

You may have noticed they don't work. Land Rover certainly noticed because they stopped fitting them, I think when the smooth roof was introduced.

These vents leak water (not surprising if you look at how cr&p they are), the water then sits in the channels. When you brake or go around the first corner of the day the water pours out of the channel onto your right knee.

If the first corner is a right hander you are in luck, the leak will end up on your girlfriend's left knee!

If the first corner is a right hander you are in luck, the leak will end up on your girlfriend's left knee!

Huh, if the leak falls on my wife I am in trouble for the rest of the day - this is one of the reasons why I need to get a solution to the sun roof leak.

In my experience strange vehicles are only tolerated as long as they are fit for purpose and don't inconvenience SWMBO. The Land Rover earnt a lot of brownie points when it got us through the snow and ice to Bicester for some designer shopping - dropping cold water on her head when her beetle was in the garage nearly got it a forced sale!

Well I came across some pond sealant I use for emergencies. Great stuff, will even seal/cure under water and loves extreme conditions...

My sunroof now sealed level to the glass / black surround and this morning after a night of rain, it was dry !!!!

(Shame I still had a puddle in the drivers footwell mat from one of the other annoying little leaks....)

Well I came across some pond sealant I use for emergencies. Great stuff, will even seal/cure under water and loves extreme conditions...

My sunroof now sealed level to the glass / black surround and this morning after a night of rain, it was dry !!!!

(Shame I still had a puddle in the drivers footwell mat from one of the other annoying little leaks....)

Maybe you p****d yourself with the excitement of fixing the sunroof! :hysterical:

Huh, if the leak falls on my wife I am in trouble for the rest of the day - this is one of the reasons why I need to get a solution to the sun roof leak.

In my experience strange vehicles are only tolerated as long as they are fit for purpose and don't inconvenience SWMBO. The Land Rover earnt a lot of brownie points when it got us through the snow and ice to Bicester for some designer shopping - dropping cold water on her head when her beetle was in the garage nearly got it a forced sale!

You took your wife to Bicester Village when you could have been off-roading! Must be a very lucky girl!

water can get in through them & into the inner gutter, gets sucked in it's to do with the airflow over the rear of a 90/110, later vehicles these 2 vents were deleted by LR.

I suppose there's no extended covers for these? It must be possible to change the airflow sufficiently to:

1) make them extractors;

2) keep the rain out.

Or is it down to pennies again? :rolleyes:

As for the sunroof, cured a workmate's MR2 lift out roof seals by the gentle use of silicon grease. Was still OK a month later (don't know after that - he left the company...).

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Following Western's advice I have replaced the seal, (about £40), discovering that the old one was squashed a bit flat and the whole frame was gooed up with silicon sealant. To get the new seal to stay in, I had to remove all of the old sealant, so the edges of the seal engaged with the frame.

Now I am getting MORE water into the cab- it's not coming under the glass any more but around the seal and then out of the frame. How was I supposed to install the seal and can any one come up with a potential fix? I'm going to remove the trim from inside the vehicle, to try and get a better idea of where the water is coming from. :wacko:

Seal needs to have a bead of sealant under it where seal & frame meet or lift the glass out & run a bead of sealant along the edge of the frame top lip & seal joint & clean the frame to roof joint & sealant around there too, when done smooth it intop a fillet around the frame outer edge. hope that makes sense :i-m_so_happy: