200 tdi cutting out

Just taken rebuilt 90 - 200tdi- out for first major after complete rebuild and fine for first 50 miles then sudden loss of power and stops- will start after few seconds but only runs for 200/ 400 yards then stops again.

I do not know this engine - it has done 121,000 and whiIe it was out of the 90 I had fitted new fuel pump and timing belt and filters but nothing else as I intend to swap engine for one out of my 110.

The fuel pump was a cheap one and I did not fit the spacer.

The truck is 20 miles from home and I want to recover it in the morning - any ideas please

• Like 1

Thanks for replies, idling time varies but can be ok until revved, tank and filter new on rebuild 50 miles ago, engine had been standing for a long time -many months until a year ago and did not respond to accelerator which is why I replaced pump and filter but deliberately did not over rev when I acquired until I had replaced the timing belt

• Like 1

Thought I had reported back yesterday but must have pressed the wrong button! 90 now back home - embarrassed to admit that the problem,as usual, was self inflicted; the fuel pipe union into the tank was loose and sucking air - i had obviously not pinched it up when installing tank on rebuild so had been ok for first 50 miles but worked loose. Thanks for your response

• Like 3

Yes, was concerned at one stage that it might be £600 for injector pump etc which would have pushed the total cost of this rebuild nearer the divorce limit - already had to recarpet the house to placate - she can't understand why I need two Defenders.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We had identical issues with a 200 Tdi Disco, changed lift pump - failed, changed fuel filter- failed, eventually tracked it down to being a porous joint in the fuel line from the tank to the injector pump and a slack jubilee clip. Replaced the fuel lines with 8mm copper and all has been fine ever since.