Water pump change + lighting fault

Hi gents

First job on my new year list is to change my Water pump (on 300TDI). Never done one before on Land Rover so after some tips. Usually a video on You Tube, but couldnt find anything for a change.

Obviously first thing I asume is to drain the coolant and remove the associated hoses, assume timing belt comes off too.

What else do I need to remove for ease of access ?

Also confused about gaskets, some kits show 1 others show 2 ?

Second job is annoying, I have an intermittant fault where occasionally my dipped beam suddenly goes off and I get a buzzing noise from behind the dash (sounds like a relay, but not certain if there is one on this circuit). Not got around to removing the dash yet to have a look.

My thoughts are:

• Poor connection at one or both headlights
  • Faulty relay
  • Wiring fault behind the dash

Anyone had similar fault in past that would give me a clue. The fault usually occurs after about 20 mins or so driving with dipped beam on (no issue with side lights).

As usual all tips help and advise greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian

I think Ralph is right, ont he 300 you don't need to touch the timing belt. If you're doing the pump though, do the P gasket too, and don't skimp on quality. Genuine LR is the only one we've found recently that doesn't fail in short order, even OEM haven't lasted long

Def do the P gasket at the same time, good write up in the tech archive and get yourself a new set of water pump bolts as well. Pump quality varies, Airtex seem to get good reviews. Fairly easy job, be sure to loosen the pulley bolts before taking the belt off, park nose up if you can.

Thought I was missing something last time I looked only have one belt. Just been out to check and I have only the one belt services the alternater, waterpump, power steering and it goes around crank too ? am I missing something ie another belt ?

Good was wondering about the p gasket will change and use genuine plus good tip replacing bolts too.

I've just changed my water pump this weekend.

your timing belt is hidden! don't worry about it!

personally i wouldn't bother with p gasket if it isn't leaking! I didn't do mine. doing the pump is a quick and easy job.

the only bit that might make it difficult is if any of the bolts have rusted (water from leak can do this) and they snap. to give yourself a fighting chance try and plus gas them a few hours before removal. I also warmed the bolts before attempting to slacken them.

A couple of tips to try and help you.

IIRC the power steering polley nees ro come off to get the water pump off.

So do yourself a favour. Get six 8mm screws about 75mm long. Try to undo one of the screws on both the warer pump and the power steering pulley BEFORE you take the alternator belt off. You may even have to tighten that belt a bit.

Now where you've removed that one screw, fit one of the long screws until it bottome so it holds the pulley in place. Now you can remove the belt and the other two screws in each pulley.

Change the "P" gasket at the same time as the water pump. The "P" gasket is the only place I use sealant,

When you come to fit the water pump. Grease the gasket before fitting.

When you come to fit the water pump bolts, Cover the shank of the bolt in copper grease and the thread of the bolt with a thread sealant.

That way it should be easier to remove the water pump bolts if there is a next time

HTH

Thought I was missing something last time I looked only have one belt. Just been out to check and I have only the one belt services the alternater, waterpump, power steering and it goes around crank too ? am I missing something ie another belt ?

Good was wondering about the p gasket will change and use genuine plus good tip replacing bolts too.

The crank pulley has grooves for two belts. The second (thinner) belt would be for aircon, running around a tensioner/idler on an arm attached tot eh timing case in place of the circular steel cover plate in front of the fuel pump. Not many Defenders have that.

Many thanks for all your advice much appreciated. Kicking myself over the timing belt (feel bit stupid now) should have realised it would not be on view and would have had teeth.

Makes sense now why its a bigger job replacing the timing belt. Only watched a short video where serpantine belt was replaced so, now its a bit more clear. Somewhere in the house I have a workshop manual but think my over efficient wife has tidied it away somewhere safe and for the life of me I carn't find it. Will have one last look and if all else fails will have to replace it. Thanks MMGEMINI good post will make life easier.

At least now I can get all necessary tools, bolts etc before starting the job and will replace the P gasket as matter of course.

Regards Ian