MTF94 consistency

Peaklander

HI

I've a quick question about my R380 oil. I don't know what was put in my gearbox at the previous oil change but I've decided to change and use MTF94 which I have bought from Smith & Allan.

I've drained the oil (what a messy job with the cross member in the way) and just about to squirt the new stuff in but it's the consistency of water (almost). It's so different from what was in so I presume 1) previous is ATF and 2) MTF makes cold gear shifts easier because I've had some difficulty with 2nd on the first selection or two on a cold morning.

Is the watery MTF94 OK??!! I've read-up so much before choosing it that I'm sure it must be but a second and third opinion would help.

Thanks

Yes - just like in the video. An oily water consistency or I suppose a watery oil :mellow:

It should be thicker than ATF. Most likely someone had put gear oil in there.... Hopefully your box is okay.

MTF thicker than ATF?

I was meaning that the new unused MTF94 is thinner than whatever was in my box which I presume was ATF.

Yes - just like in the video. An oily water consistency or I suppose a watery oil :mellow:

MTF thicker than ATF?

I was meaning that the new unused MTF94 is thinner than whatever was in my box which I presume was ATF.

Yes, ATF is a lower viscosity than MTF and thus should appear a bit thinner. Normal ATF is quite thin. If something thick came out of the box, it was the wrong fluid.

So RED90 you are saying that ATF is thinner than MTF94? I was surprised at the MTF94 being watery but the ATF would be even more so?

I can say that the first few miles with the MTF94 in the box appear to have made gear changes very easy.

When I drained the old oil there was nothing at all on the drain magnet (and the oil had only been in for about 10K miles) so I think the box is fine. I will go to the garage that did the oil change last year and ask what they might have used. It was much thicker than the MTF94. It's strange as they know Land Rovers and drive them themselves.

MTF94 has been the LR spec for the R380 since early 1995 - prior to that ATF was used but it does not provide the lucricosity of the MTF. So the ATF should not have been used for a long time.

Never never use EP90 etc as it is too thick for the oil pump in the gearbox. Use MTF 94 or its equivalent.

Garry