Winch Woes

bishbosh

My winch has developed a strange problem. :( It is a Warn XD9000 with Albrights and up until now has performed faultlessly.

When spooling on a new rope it suddenly went from normal no load speed to about half speed. Spooling out is unaffected and the brake does not seem to be catching as it freespools correctly. I can also hold the drum still whilst in freespool and operating the winch so I think we can discount brake bind as a cause.

I have eliminated the isolator as the same symptoms occur with the winch wired direct to the battery.

The symtoms are also repeatable - winch in and you get normal speed for a short while - 10 secs or so then the speed drops and the winch sounds laboured. Stop and wait a couple of seconds and do it again and you get a similar result. However, on one occasion when I stopped and restarted it was still in "slow" mode.

So is the motor toast? :unsure:

I have yet to strip the winch down as I thought I'd await the panel's view ;)

All help (except "shoulda got a pto/hydraulic/capstan/tirfor/8274" :P:lol: ) greatfully received.

Ring Phil @ PG Winches contacts

From my Husky winch fault diagnosis page

motor runs but with insifficent power or line speed ------ weak battery, battery to winch power cable to small in diameter/capacity,poor connections, insufficent charging,poor earth.

on or more of them sounds favourite.

I'd go with one of the above although you might have an albright on the way out. They are super reliable but I had a friend who had one that was dodgy. Can't remember what the symtoms were but he stripped it, cleaned it up and it worked.

Charles, whip it off the motor an let me have a peek, do it before the 16th and if I can't sort then I will drop it off at DB's emporium of winching.

By the way, after having used Nick's 8274's in anger on Sunday, I would say that they are the only thing that spoils his superb vehicle. All my unpleasant memories of the 8274 came flooding back 'en mass'; underpowered, too fast, no control, appalling run on, cable grab blah blah. Overpriced pile of sh*te. A point I did mention to Nick once or twice

Mind you I was quite impressed with the Warn 16.5 on the front of an RRC Blitz

shoulda got a pto/hydraulic/capstan/tirfor/8274 :D:D:D:D:D

id double check all the connections to the motor/solinolds & possibly swop the solinolds to see if you can locate the problem. striped & cleaned the winch lately? (oh no you said you hadnt) could it be dirt affecting the brushes? ive not been inside a winch yet so just guessing.

By the way, after having used Nick's 8274's in anger on Sunday, I would say that they are the only thing that spoils his superb vehicle. All my unpleasant memories of the 8274 came flooding back 'en mass'; underpowered, too fast, no control, appalling run on, cable grab blah blah. Overpriced pile of sh*te. A point I did mention to Nick once or twice

Nick did mention that, now you come to mention it :lol:

How's you're hand, BTW? That didn't sound terribly nice!

Nick did mention that, now you come to mention it :lol:

How's you're hand, BTW? That didn't sound terribly nice!

I felt I should let him know my feelings on the subject :lol:

Thanks for asking about the hand. Despite finding the only non dormant wasps nest on site (cuningly situated right by a punch) and managing to put my hand in it just prior to the discovery, I only received two stings and they were on the wrist. This was mainly due to Nick so kindly lending me his very bling and very clean 'winch' gloves rather than let me use the crappy pair he usually lets Les use.

Interesting scenario. Bl**dy steep bank, one handhold between falling ten feet onto arse in deep mud. Handhold turns out to be an old tree stump with a very p*ss*d off wasp posse in it. Being the agile gazzelle that I am I swung, like an overweight orangutang to a small thin very bendy hazel branch and then on and upward to a slightly thicker holy - still with winch rope and tree strop in one hand. At this moment I was still up for fixing said cable and going for the punch - hell the wasps nest was on Nicks side of the motor. Then upon wiping the sweat from my brow and focusing my aging eyes on the site of the nest I became aware of the change from Wasp Posse to Wasp Crowd and then to Wasp Semi-swarm. I instructed Nick in my delicate tones of my decision not to continue and proceeded to use gravity to leave the cliff....

I bet I know the answer!

Brushes.

You have two sets of brushes on the back of the motor. If one set (or even just one brush) is loosing contact, it will roughly half the speed/power of the winch.

New brush packs are cheap enough and will give it a new lease of life.

Si