Help - Stuck radius arm

Troddenmasses

Help.... The 90 failed the MOT yesterday (I even know the MOT tester, so it must be bad) - one of the things is the radius arm bushes. I've never done these before, so am learning as I go. Have managed to do the left one, but am a little stuck coming to do the right one. I'm trying to remove the bolts holding it to the axle, and the haynes book of lies says

Slacken and remove the nuts and bolts securing the radius arm to the axle, and remove the arm from underneath the vehicle

I've managed to undo the nuts and one of the bolts. The front bolt is a touch tight. I've tried my crappy clarke impact wrench - but that couldn't really stir custard. As any of you who have met me know, I'm not a small chap, so I then tried a breaker bar. As that wouldn't move it, I put a 3 ft piece of scaffold pole onto the end of the beaker bar, and stood on it. Unfortunately, it was raining, and I now have a huge gash up the side of my leg from where I slipped off. After the 1st aid treatment, I tried again properly. I now need another breaker bar to replace the one I've bent.

You could say it's a little tight.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted?????

cut the bolts off hammer out the residue

get new bolts

I have some 2nd hand ones your welcome to.

I could post them AM if you want them.

with rust on the thread these bolts are buggers to say the least to undo.

Thank you very much for the offer - I already have some that will fit perfectly. I guess that it's out with the angle grinder on Monday then....

The bolts also seize into the steel inside the jockey arm.

If this is the case CAREFULLY cut "Up" with a hacksaw or if REALLY CAREFUL 1mm cutting disc, between the axle and jockey arm.

Give the axle mounts a good belt with a blunt chisel to give the bigest flange opening for whatever hacksaw / 1mm goes in there

chopping the nut / bolt head off is fine if the actual bolt is free turning....copperslip new stuff "Big Time"

Nige

if you are quite a big chap then you you might have more success by lying on the floor and using your legs to push the breaker. I weigh about 450kg but can leg press just over 600kg which on a 3 foot bar equals a torque of around 4000lb/ft against 1000lb/ft from just standing on it.

Theres not a lot that can survive 4000lb/ft in the land rover world. Most LR bolts just snap!

I had this trouble on mine last week. I won eventually by using a 4' extension bar fitted in such a way as to be parallel to the chassis, and then a bit of scaffold pole placed on top at 90 degrees to this and wedged under the chassis. Total extension must have been about 7'. Bit of a heave and it cracked off.

Have you got a lift kit fitted? you say you got the nuts off so is that both nuts off (1 off each bolt) and 1 bolt removed therefore leaving one bolt or do you still have one bolt with 1 nut on it?

if your lifted the wagon there may be some castor in axle that is helping to keep the bolt in there. try jacking bits of the axle to take the castor out then try undoing the bolt.

I have the dreaded siezed sleeve syndrome on 3 out of the four radius arm bolts so it looks like I will be introducing them to the spark machine :(:(:( .

Can anyone tell me what diameter, length and grade the bolts are so I can get them from my local place instead of paying silly prices?

Thanks,

I have the dreaded siezed sleeve syndrome on 3 out of the four radius arm bolts so it looks like I will be introducing them to the spark machine :(:(:( .

Can anyone tell me what diameter, length and grade the bolts are so I can get them from my local place instead of paying silly prices?

Thanks,

I think that they were about 50p each from Christian autos in Bristol - not too rediculous, and great service too.

Thanks,

PM me your address and i'll send you a couple, some are metric some (earlier?) are imperial - which would you prefer?

Lewis

Well to answer my own question - I extracted the one bolt that was playing ball and headed off to my nuts and bolts place er Nuts and Bolts as it happens :blink: and asked for "four of those please".

To my utter shock they could not produce the goods! First time ever! :o

The bolts are Grade 10.9 M16 x 100 metric coarse. (well mine are anyhow) They could only offer Grade 8.8 with a hex head or 12.9 in a cap head. Didn't fancy the cap head as I could see it being a swine to undo in the future.

Lewis - you have a PM!!