Collected this Friday

LR90

Well, its slowly comming together. I've had a new wide saddle TD5 bulkhead blasted and now galved.

No sign of distortion though the surface is much rougher than the satin black paint from new and the vent grills are heavily clogged.

post-9-1165075676_thumb.jpg

So, reassurance for others seeking to galv a bulkhead. In fact it seems the biggest risk comes from handling, the bulkhead which looks very fragile amongst the other items in for blasting or galving in the yards I've been using. That said mine has come back fine and I now need to tidy it up a bit and get some (yellow) paint on it.

So, what's the recommendations for painting onto galv?

Guest diesel_jim
Well, its slowly comming together. I've had a new wide saddle TD5 bulkhead blasted and now galved.

So, what's the recommendations for painting onto galv?

I'd get the bukhead shotblasted back to bare steel, that way the paint will stick well......

(slam of door, screeching of tyres in the distance..... :ph34r: )

I think etch primer is the way to go, although how good it is, i don't know.

I've also discovered that leaving galv outside in the rain and weather helps to dull it (my chassis and rock sliders certainly have dulled a lot) and it seems to help the paint stick a bit, albiet only hammer****e, but nevertheless it helps it a little.

I am begining to wonder about just leaving it unpainted? Less effort, which I like, and the truck isn't a show piece anymore.

Brush paint I could do but spraying would be using cans and even then I don't have a lot of space.

Hi Trev,

Bought the same item with the intention of Galving but the galv shop insist all paint must be removed before they will dip it.

That woud be fine if the new bulkhead was sprayed instead of dipped in paint as I have no way of getting the paint off from the internal sections of the bulkhead.

I have tried nitromors and cellulose to tryand lift the paint but the stuff is refusing to come off.

I am now thinking about just painting it and then giving it a liberal dose of dinitrol inside and out.

Cheers

Grant

I had to take mine to a blasters first coz they wouldn't dip it as it was and yep, it even removed the paint inside. Left the surfaces very rough and while they were concerned it might blast away the vent grills they were still intact (if a little buckled) after. Did wonder about getting it hot zinc sprayed at the same time but glad now I've done it to go the whole hog and get the hot dip galv. Lot of chasing about so far though.