Adding rear side windows to a 90

Guest MJG

Can somebody point me in the right direction as to a previous thread or elswhere where I can locate information on adding rear side sliding windows to a 90.

Also recomendations please as to a good place to get a good quality set of windows.

I've been asked to help with this on a colleagues 90 but would like to know what we would be taking on before we embark on the mission.

Fitting the inward facing seats/carpets/flooring bit doesn't phase me but the thought of cutting two large holes in the side of his Landy does rather make me want to be pretty sure we know what we are doing.

Defenders leak enough without us adding to the problem

Many thanks in advance.

Guest diesel_jim

I fitted a pair of look a like ones to my 90 a while back. the seals arn't that good in them (compared to the genuine ones which arn't that good either... :rolleyes: ) but they're tolerable i suppose.

i went to my dealers armed with a tape, and copied all the dimensions of where the edges of the frame are. the ones i got were exactly the same size as genuine ones.

measure 3 times

check twice

cut once!!

tip: put some 2" masking tape around roughly where the cut will go, that way when you draw the mark on, it shows up well, and the tape will also protect the paint around the cut from getting scratched by your jigsaw/air hacksaw

I fitted a pair of look a like ones to my 90 a while back. <SNIP>

That's a very helpful post, partic the picture with the dimensions, couple more questions....

1 - any info. on where you got the actual windows from,

and

2- did they come with templates or could you have put them any where in the side panel you wanted.

Many thanks.

Guest diesel_jim
That's a very helpful post, partic the picture with the dimensions, couple more questions....

1 - any info. on where you got the actual windows from,

and

2- did they come with templates or could you have put them any where in the side panel you wanted.

Many thanks.

I got mine from Bourton Landrovers in bourton on the water.

no, didnt come with any templates, what i did was mark out the outer dimensions (as per the above picture), then measure the "lip" that is between the outer edge and the inner part, the gap is about 20mm, so measured in 20mm all the way around on my side panel, then checked it several more times, and cut away!

when you rivet it in, make sure you use blind rivets. these don't allow any water to seep through them like "normal" pop rivets.

I've added a link from this thread to the Tech Archive.

Cheers Ralph... I did look there first but couldn't see the info. I wanted. Obviously it will now be there in the future.

Cheers.....

I used a fixed window from an old Series hard top and made a cutting template from the old window hole.

This was easy enough but for the fact that the new rubbers were metric dimension and slighly larger making the fitting tough. Had I realised the situation I would have made the allowance when marking the hole.

John

• 9 months later...
Guest diesel_jim

I went to my stealership armed with tape measure and camera....

they're used to it... i'm always doing that, i was led under a Td5 90 the other day measuring the engine mounts, some customers walked up looking at a possible purchase, and stepped over my legs...

i should have shouted out "don't worry luv, i'm just bolting the engine back in for ya" :D:D:lol:

• 6 years later...

Masai sell templates on their online shop at £15. The landy glass fitting guide in Augusts LRO gave dimensions too but the "full roll of masking tape" to get the radius for the corners was a bit of a guess....ok if you're fitting full glass side panels...not if you are fitting OE style windows.