Centre Winch install

Warthog

Picked up a duff M8000 (cheap) awhile back off the bay. But all that was wrong was the cone brake had siezed.

So with a weekend to spare, thought i would have a go at a centre winch set-up. But also mount it in such way that i could use it as a second winch rearwards. Didnt need one, but it had been sat there and boredom made me have a bash ;)

Welded 12mm plate straight on the crossmeber to make a base. Two weld runs are on the underneath either side of the member.

DSC00641.jpg

Made up a winch mount plate to bolt onto the crossmember plate 5x M12 bolt to secure it on. Maybe a little overkill, but there was room to do so.

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

Machined a 30mm slot in the plate to allow the winch to be utilsed rearward (need to set something up so it can be guided at rear Xmember)

Mounted winch and wire up using old 50mm welding cable.

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00681.jpg

For the top eye type hawse used a large eyebolt welded to solid 2" bar and then welded to the rollcage. Used 1/2" bar to give extra rigidty to the set-up.

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00678.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

Gonna give it a test run this weekend. Going to increase cage strength if neccessary, and work out a good way to run it as a rear winch as a back up or when in really deep brown stuff. Also see if the mount flexes too much and in need of some gussets?

DSC00676.jpg

Not seen too many centre winch build ups, but i guess they are not a neccesity to have?

I have one that exits through the top of the cage in a similar way. After the first event I nticed that it had pulled the top of the rear hoop down about 4". Wasn't an issue, 10 mins with the body jack and it was back in place then I welded an upright (34mm od tube) from the ctr of the cross up to the top run of the cage to stop it happening. Might be worth doing before you bend yours.

warthog - nice work there :) one thing i do when installing winches, is use stronger bolts - 12.9 capheads. maybe it's not required, and just an overkill but i don't think there's any harm in having strong bolts :)

You can just about see it here.

post-1274-1220513123_thumb.jpg

steve, how've you done your "hoop" at the top ?

did the above said modifications to your cage cause any problems for scrutineering ?

thanks

Gordon

Tidy job but I would think about some triangulation there. Just wondering, is there a reason you didn't mount feet flat on the plate you welded to the crossmember?

As far as centre winches go are they worth it? When I took the truck off the road very few people in this country seemed to have them and events didn't seem to need them as much but that seems to have changed in the last couple of years....

As far as centre winches go are they worth it? When I took the truck off the road very few people in this country seemed to have them and events didn't seem to need them as much but that seems to have changed in the last couple of years....

You dont have to have one but they are very usefull on the very technical stuff. Some events we go to we never use it, Then the next we will be using it all day (usually on a 4x4 adv event if James was in a bad mood when he setup :D) It can, In the right situations and used well save you a LOT of time. It can also waist a lot of time if you try and use it just for the sake of it or use it badly. I reckon mine, Complete with mount has added approx 40kg to the truck, Well worth it on the whole I think.

Will - when you took your truck off the road, most people didn't have electricity.

Warthog - nice setup, and it puts the weight of the winch where you want it too. I think it's a sensible location, even if you were just using it as a rear winch. I trust you're going to cover up those solenoid terminals? :)

(usually on a 4x4 adv event if James was in a bad mood when he setup :D)

This is not a true statement Steve , James is always in a happy mood , Hes just sadistic :ph34r:

I have a slightly different set up on mine , The centre winch is ran from the rear winch and has the same effect as the extra winch but without the need for a 3rd winch , It comes in very useful when you need that extra bit to acheive some of James` 4" punch cords fitted to the rear of roots of the tree . :ph34r:

And comes in handy for self recovery when your on your side .

Its a well worth mod and a nice job you have done there , But as Steve has already mentioned , It may need a vertical supprt from the double diagonal to the exit ring on the top .

This is not a true statement Steve , James is always in a happy mood , Hes just sadistic :ph34r:

I have a slightly different set up on mine , The centre winch is ran from the rear winch and has the same effect as the extra winch but without the need for a 3rd winch , It comes in very useful when you need that extra bit to acheive some of James` 4" punch cords fitted to the rear of roots of the tree . :ph34r:

And comes in handy for self recovery when your on your side .

Its a well worth mod and a nice job you have done there , But as Steve has already mentioned , It may need a vertical supprt from the double diagonal to the exit ring on the top .

Cheers guys, I'd planned to allow the rear winch to be used like Jason's but I might have a rethink.

TC, when I last entered an event we did have electricity however my truck was steam powered :o

Cheers for the replies, it would seem i will be tweaking the set-up.

I always find i get to a point when sketching the ideas out that i need to just get and build it, otherwise i'll never get anything done. Then the rest falls into place, or not! Which is when i stop and go down pub B)

The angle of the plate to crossmember was welded at the angle for a couple of reasons. Less fabbing to do, and it seemed to just work nicely that way :) No technical advantages.

Milling the slot out has weakened the mount plate a little, but im pretty sure a few tweaks should prevent such problems. Maybe a couple of top struts running from the plate to a good base.

As to the winch solenoid being covered, well im gonna leave as it. Just spray the unit with silicon grease. The rear solenoid has faired well to date, without any cover. Am i going to regret it??

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
You will if you short the terminals out with a ground anchor :P

Saying that I cant find anywhere that does all insulated boots to cover 70 mm cable/lugs :unsure:

First Four does some very flexible ones Les

I have some here if you want to try before you buy.

It is the orange ones on the rear motor

post-5-1221686052_thumb.jpg

YThen the next we will be using it all day (usually on a 4x4 adv event if James was in a bad mood when he setup :D)

Hey Gittins i am here you know!

Thank you Jase, considerate as ever, i think you have won this series on default now you know......

Had a go at sorting out a "removable rear fairlead" As my intentions with this install was to alllow the centre winch, To be used as a rear if need be (as a back up or assist scenario) 4500lb ATV Fairlead and a bit of plate i had kicking around. Not sure if im happy with it yet, but its a start. Rigidity and over strength are my concerns at present.

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00724.jpg