TD5 intercooler on TDI?

discomikey

ive recently just fitted one of the intercooler kits off ebay,the main reason was i wanted to move the winch back which meant i had to move the rad back,to do that i had to place it in the centre cos the steering box was in the way which left no room for the intercooler,so i decided to fit an intercooler in front of the rad,i won the kit for £130 on ebay and thats includeing the pipes so didnt really expect it to be "top of the range" stuff but to be fair it does the job,the throttle response feels a little crisper but turn it into a rocket ship it certainly doesnt,at the end of the day its a landrover

31752422464905658171354.jpg37653022464912858351354.jpg38142622464899658021354.jpg31055922464888057731354.jpg

If you really wanted one the only way i think you would get a benefit is running two one above the other and put a 180 degree elbow between the two outlets on the O/S thus turning two cross flows into one kind of twin pass and keeping pipework runs short ish.

If you really wanted one the only way i think you would get a benefit is running two one above the other and put a 180 degree elbow between the two outlets on the O/S thus turning two cross flows into one kind of twin pass and keeping pipework runs short ish.

180 degree bends are the worst thing you can do for disrupting air flow.

Turning up the fuel will do heaps more of you want more power, and adjust the wastegate too... (EGT gauge needed!)

if it smoked any more it would fail its MOT, the turbo is boosting at 18 at the manifold.

180 degree bends are the worst thing you can do for disrupting air flow.

surely thats what the twin pass intercoolers do anyway?

yes this is for brian, i did do for the first year, then realised that much more fuelling than what i have now and its just more smoke and not really any extra power, which is when i turned to the turbo pressure. now im looking at cheaper ways to get an intercooler upgrade.

for the money getting it ported would not really do much

its mainly for towing by the way.

I recently bought a rs500 cosworth intercooler from eBay for about £65 delivered. That's brand new but with a damaged bracket, it needed removing anyways. Just fits between wings on my defender. Going to get hoses and pipes from apmotorstore.co.uk as they seem reasonable and can supply pipes any length, then they put a bead on the ends. Will be fitting an egt gauge first though.

i can chop the origional panel in the engine bay, as long as i keep the origional look, thats how i mounted the standard TDI intercooler before.

ive heard cosworth ones are a good fit, and ill have a look, also ill have a look at other universal ones. im also trying to work out how to get a cross flow back to the inlet manifold, as there isnt much room at all between the pulleys and rad. picture attached shows..

post-13725-0-97680400-1322931943_thumb.jpg