200 tdi engine in my 110

Green200tdi

my 200 TDI engine out of a disco it has what seems like a loud tapping on tick over and gets faster the more you rev it, have changed the valve stem caps and adjusted the gaps but the engine seems tappy still, i noticed if you put a long screw driver with your ear to end of it to top of thermostat housing the tap is most loudest there 

any ideas?

should really come on here more often :rolleyes:

Edited by roverv8

200TDi engines have a tendency to blow from No4 cylinder to the bulkhead. Put your hand down the back of the engine while it's running and you'll feel it if the gasket has gone this way. A leaking exhaust manifold gasket makes what seems like a clicking noise.

Les.

On 18/01/2017 at 2:24 PM, Les Henson said:

200TDi engines have a tendency to blow from No4 cylinder to the bulkhead. Put your hand down the back of the engine while it's running and you'll feel it if the gasket has gone this way. A leaking exhaust manifold gasket makes what seems like a clicking noise.

Les.

300 even more so.  It sounds like someone flicking a sheet of paper with their finger, and doesn't show any fluid loss or contamination.  Performance loss is negligible, but it will eventually cause gas erosion of the head, needing a skim if caught soon enough and a new head if not.

only pumps oil all over the engine bay when rocker cover is removed,

had  filler cap off this morning engine running all seems ok nothing come out so guess wait till timing cover comes off (doing timing belt as no history or millage to this engine) timing kit turned up this morning :)

will keep you lot updated:D

I had a timing belt idler bearing cracking the timing chest this caused a tapping noise at the front of the engine. When I removed the cover there was a witness Mark on it from the bearing tapping the cover. The down side is its difficult and expensive to get and replace the timing chest.

Mike