Separating multi-plug sections and reconditioning

Troll Hunter

1991 110 CSW LHS, originally with a 3.5V8 but retro-fitted with a 300 Tdi and R380 g'box.

I started today by wrestling with separating the multi-plugs on the engine side of the bulkhead.  I eventually solved the problem by using two small mole grips, one clamped on each side of the multi-plug, putting a block between the mole wrenches, and closing the pairs of handles to each other.  Easy, peasy, even for the plugs that have been fitted for 26 years.

Now for the question!  How should I address all the contacts on these multi-plugs, some of which are fairly heavily corroded?  The male connects I can clean with a wire brush and with emery cloth, but what about the female sections?

Should I buy new multi-plugs and cut the wires to fit?  Should I cut off the existing multi-plugs and fit individual 1/4" male/female connections to each wire?  Or ????????

Suggestion and recommendations, please.

On reflection I agree that emery is too abrasive but I think wet and dry is perfectly ok.

I don't think contact cleaner removes that black tarnish sort of layer does it but it's certainly good for potentiometer wipers etc. 

That pencil brush looks interesting. Does it abrade the surface at all though?

Edited by Peaklander
Looked at the link provided!

If you want to update, Amp Superseal:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/117/1/multi-connectors

While you're in there you may wish to fuse the brown wires that feed into the vehicle, they're unfused direct to the battery and an ideal opportunity for a vehicle fire.

54 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If you want to update, Amp Superseal:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/117/1/multi-connectors

While you're in there you may wish to fuse the brown wires that feed into the vehicle, they're unfused direct to the battery and an ideal opportunity for a vehicle fire.

WOW!!!! The vehicle Wiring Products site has moved into the 21st century since I last visited it :lol:

7 hours ago, Peaklander said:

On reflection I agree that emery is too abrasive but I think wet and dry is perfectly ok.

I don't think contact cleaner removes that black tarnish sort of layer does it but it's certainly good for potentiometer wipers etc. 

That pencil brush looks interesting. Does it abrade the surface at all though?

Right then, when I re read what I said it might have sounded a bit abrasive :-) my apologies, to be clear when sat at the side of the road with a duff car and no tools I've cleaned a contact with the side of a matchbox! what I should have said is if you have a choice  then something less abrasive is much better than emery cloth...

Your correct that Aerosol contact cleaner like 'Servisol' etc wont shift the oxide layer and in this kind of application is not much use but as a water displacement after cleaning the contact it will help reduce oxidisation, the manufacturer will have plated the contact with something akin to tin and often cleaning an oxidised contact that thin plate will be removed - the contact will now work but the corrosion resistance will be degraded. A squirt of switch cleaner or a smear of Vaseline etc will often be advantageous.

I have used a chemical cleanser which I imported from America to brighten contacts and it worked well but I ran out of it many years ago and cant recall the name but it was very similar to Goddards silver dip used in jewellery work. Again very thorough cleaning afterwards with a solvent like IPA is essential.

The pencil brush is fantastic - I first started using it as pretty much the only certified tool for cleaning relay contacts in the late 70's - it will whip of oxide and tarnish and leave a very fine surface, now its not perfect and of course it will also damage the plating if over used. The tiny fragments of fibreglass do stick in your fingers and hurt like '****' and the oxide deposits from the contacts can act as a semiconductor so cleaning the dust away properly is important in some cases.

Often to clean contacts such as typical LR electrics we need nothing more abrasive than a piece of cardboard

HTH

Those fibre glass pencils are excellent and very cheap on the likes of eBay where you can also buy refills .... I have to agree about the downside of annoying glass fragments stuck in you though, top tip is not to use it over your lap ...... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GW8IZR said:

Right then, when I re read what I said it might have sounded a bit abrasive :-) my apologies,

No problem but thank you very much. I've often wondered just what's being removed when contacts are brightened-up. It's certainly effective but as you say, the long term consequences might not be clear. 

Wow!  What a lot of input.  Thank you, everybody, for your suggestions and experiences.  I'm now Googling and Ebaying fibre glass brushes this side of the water, but almost all of the search results show "From United Kingdom".  Amazing!  

I note that there were no comments about separating these multi-plugs, specially when they've been installed for a considerable time - 26 years for mine.  I meant to upload this photo of my method for separating them.  I'm only using the pliers as the fulcrum between the two mole wrenches.  This also shows the corrosion I'll be battling with.

Mike

DSCN0577.thumb.JPG.f86aba2088f3d73def9916161f20dd8b.JPG

Yeh, thanks, I have found a few suppliers over here, and not costing too much more, so I think I'll be OK.  If not, I'll get my daughter, who lives south of London, UK, to buy some and send them out to me.  I'm obviously not in a rush for them.:unsure:

Mike