Another moan about fuel prices

Les Henson

ah yes Les ,

You seem to have missed the main point of the annoucement , they aren't profiteering out of us individual end users....its at the other end selling the crude to refineries ....well thats ok then :angry::angry:

......and be comforted by govt. inflation calcs of 2.5% ......your hard earned pennies go just as far as they did 6 months ago......you just don't understand the complexities of modern free democratic capitalism....like the rest of us

.....diesel is £1.21/litre here now, just don't know if shell/BP/Tesc*s will make ends meet this fiscal year :rolleyes:

ggrrrrr

Steveb

Les, what you must put into context is that while these figures as absolute numbers are very large, so are the companies that produce them. One of the 'joys' of living in the free world is that supply and demand dictates prices. They are sitting on an increasingly scarce resource that everybody wants and the market sets the price (not the individual companies-although collectively as OPEC they can control supply volumes to a point). In the current conditions, one has to envy that position.

If you think they are making shed loads, have a look at what the Government take is in taxes!! Which, of course, goes to good causes :blink:

But what is Shell's turnover in the same period?

£3Bn is a massive number but not much profit in % if turnover was £300Bn

Last accessible accounts were 2005 and they made 13% profit, before tax.

Better than I expected, but not exactly raping the consumer!

What we are all missing here is the fact that the Government are making a killing out of the extra VAT on fuel..

If fuel goes up 10p per litre, then the government make an extra 1.75p in VAT..... :huh:

...and you wonder why they're keeping quiet on the subject. :rolleyes:

if the base price for a fuel which will run out eventually goes up... then thats one thing, but the Government could adjust the amount of duty/ VAT they take from us to help out, it wouldn't mean the Government would be making any less, just taking a smaller percentage....

...if they won't do that, perhaps they should be using some of their VAT windfall to give grants to people to help them convert to use sustainable fuels, or even help small businesses start up making biodiesel, etc...

Where is White90 when you need him?

This thread is obviously political and shoulf be deleted/locked - just to be consistent with the last fuel-price thread?

Just for the record, the price of fuel affects us more than most - and it is an intrinsically political issue so this should be an exception to the non discussion of politics rule.

Si

Where is White90 when you need him?

This thread is obviously political and should be deleted/locked - just to be consistent with the last fuel-price thread?

Just for the record, the price of fuel affects us more than most - and it is an intrinsically political issue so this should be an exception to the non discussion of politics rule.

Si

Well that's what I think but Les started it so it is down to him when it all gets a bit David Cameron-Gordon Brown. :)

Well that's what I think but Les started it so it is down to him when it all gets a bit David Cameron-Gordon Brown. :)

Surely that's even worse? Are you saying that the rules applied to everyone else, don't apply to the Mods/Administrator?

Si

His Call

and that is why Political debate should be kept away from a L/R website.

That is my opinion.

what any of this has to do with L/Rs is beyond me personally.

I guess there must be political forums out there where members can all sign petitions to their hearts content.

The big fuel suppliers announced their profits this morning -

BP - up 48% and profits of £3.3 billion in the last 3-months.

Shell - £3.9 billion in the last three months.

Combined profits over the last year of £25 billion.

Les :(

This is ridiculous. Up almost 50%! We are all being taxed more and more and people are struggling to afford to run their cars to get to work and some people are making millions :(

His Call

and that is why Political debate should be kept away from a L/R website.

Politics is the process by which groups (not individuals) of people make decisions on who gets what. The term is generally applied to behavior within civil governments, but politics has been observed in all human group interactions, including corporate, academic, and religious institutions.

Politics consists of "social relations involving authority or power"[1] and refers to the regulation of a political unit, [2] and to the methods and tactics used to formulate and apply policy.

The dictionary definition above leads me to think that this site is indeed political in some way shape or form.

Questions:

what makes a thread LR based?

what makes a 4x4 LR based? does the vehicle need to be LR only or does having a LR component make it so? if not there are shed loads of threads none LR

why have threads about scrap iron and the likes been allowed? was it because of personal interest of the mods? scrap iron is not LR. but it is political!!!

i suspect that the price of fuel does indeed affect all on this site .... there is no question that it affects my Landrovers enjoyment as it restricts how often she gets out and about....!

fuel is as much part of LR as is what type of oil to use or who to get this or that from

people selling none LR specific parts.. is that allowed? ans: YES

would it Not be allowed to have a thread on the price of tyres if the tax on them was to rise above 70%?

again I don't intend to make anyone angry

but I accept that one view does not fit all. (or is that a political statement?)

Peace be with you

<WC Fields Mode on >

"Politicians are like a babies nappy - and need changing often ....and for the same reasons"

<WC Fields Mode off>

I firmly belive that they are all as bad / crooked / self indulged / perverted / or criminal as each other,

we only moan about the ones currently "In" .....and forget how bad the last lot were.

Trust them to look after us and make life better for us, ....yeah of course they will.

Can't stand any of them, being a pessimist is good at times as I am rarely disappointed :lol:

Nige

be like the french - if you dont like it set fire to the town hall :)

we only get pushed because we allow ourselves to be..

Wise words from one who gets so little sleep!

HMG is creaming at least 60p a litre paid directly into the coffers, and a few pence more via indirect taxation. Extortion and, along with high grain prices will lead to massive inflation. If they think inflation is pegged at 3-4% they really are in cloud cuckoo land (at our expense :( )