LT230 intermediate gear

found another problem this morning, after doing the clutch change, started up to check operation, as I dropped the complete overdrive off & refitted the normal x-drilled gear, I got a clunk & the engine stalled, took the gear out & found this damage to the intermediate gear 3 teeth knocked off & 2 on the input gear too, not to bothered about the input gear as the overdrive will be going back on.

bit peeded off now, as everthing was going together fine, luckily I hadn't refilled the TB with new EP90, so that hasn't be wasted/contaminated.

I guessing my only option is a new gear from Ashcrofts, only fitted this TB in March too, it's a 1.410:1 Defender box by the way.

so won't be on the road this weekend after all, still I can refit the front floor plates & other bits.

post-20-1224938579_thumb.jpg

Nope, they were fine when I visually checked last week, somehow the input gear wasn't in correctly & has caused this problem for me.

as the input gear wasn't fitted when the clutch went last week, it's done this damage today, during a functional check of the clutch operation.

wish I'd left it out now & refitted the overdrive.

PM just gone to Mr Ashcroft :D

Ralph I think you put the gear in the wrong way round, I have seen this done before and it locks everything up and goes bang when you try and move it, it happened to one of my old vehicles when somebody (not me!!) had the gear out to check the splines. The gear will physically go in onto the shaft either way around but one way works and one way causes an expensive bang :(

Thanks Stephen I think you are right the dog tooth part [PTO Connection] wasn't facing the rear when I took the cover off, so I'm stuffed now :( until I can get a new intermediate gear on order on monday, another week of the road :rolleyes::angry2: should have checked the :rtfm:

Hi Ralph,

we have genuine gears in stock at £50 + £ 10 carraige + VAT, let me know,

you will need to remove the transfer case to get the intermediate pin out to change the gear,

Thanks Dave, PM on it's way.

oh well, tomorrow's job is drop the TB & extract the dead gear.

Yep, 'fraid that is your problem then, if the dog teeth were facing in the input gear teeth will have bridged both sets of teeth on the intermediate and you know the rest :(

The good news is that it is a mistake that you only make once :)

I did exactly the same thing once but noticed my stupidity before I moved it :unsure: We had to weld a tube and plate on the end of the gear to get enough leverage on to extract it, the gear gets pushed onto the ends of the splines if you wind PTO cover on assuming gear is sticking a bit. Won't repeat that mistake again!!

BM & sean101 Cheers for the confirmation, the input gear is now removed & it'll be replaced sometime, as my GKN OD is going back on, not having a serviceable input gear isn't a great worry. Mr ashcroft will be getting a phone call first thing monday morning for a new intermediate gear. :D

Removed the transfer box this morning & extracted the dead gear, & recovered the bearing outer races & circlips ready to be installed in the new gear, think I'll need a new stake nut & collapisble tube too, so the preload/torque of the nut is correct.

Hooray, I can rebuild my transfer box now, the new gear from Dave Ashcroft arrived today :D Thanks Dave for a superb & fast service. :i-m_so_happy:

just one more question. the old gear had internal grooves for the 2 circlips so the bearing outer track can bare against them,

the new gear has no circlip grooves but does have a slightly smaller internal diameter below the outer bearing track seating areas,

I've fitted the outer tracks without the circlips below them, is that correct for the gear supplied ?

they are fully seated & are level with the bottom of the angled edge.

Thanks Dave for confirming I've assembled it correctly :i-m_so_happy: & you have a reply by PM too. next job after work tomorrow is fit it into the transfer box & then refit the TB to my 110 & get it completed & back on the road, I haven't driven it for 2 weeks, blinking work gets in the way :lol:

Had a busy day out on my driveway/garage, started at 0850, stopped for lunch about 1200 & just finished for today due to lack of daylight, cos it's getting a bit chilly outside, got the transfer box/overdrive refitted, props reconnected, floor plates down.

tomoorow's job is to refit the gearbox tunnel/cubbybox to refit & various electrical connections/radio's to reconnect, then I'm mobile again hooray :D

Had a busy day out on my driveway/garage, started at 0850, stopped for lunch about 1200 & just finished for today due to lack of daylight 7 cos it's getting a bit chilly outside, got the ransfer box/overdrive refitted, props reconnected, floor plates down.

tomoorow's job is to refit the gearbox tunnel/cubbybox to refit & various electrical connections/radio's to reconnect, then I'm mobile again hooray :D

what method do you find is easiest for taking off/lifting on the transfer box as i have the nice job of doing this aswell. i usually just drop the gearbox and tranfer box with an engine hoist but dont have one this time.

Had a busy day out on my driveway/garage, started at 0850, stopped for lunch about 1200 & just finished for today due to lack of daylight 7 cos it's getting a bit chilly outside, got the ransfer box/overdrive refitted, props reconnected, floor plates down.

Blimey Ralph, I'd have thought you'd have got your finger out ! Bloomin' layabout :P

Mo

what method do you find is easiest for taking off/lifting on the transfer box as i have the nice job of doing this aswell. i usually just drop the gearbox and tranfer box with an engine hoist but dont have one this time.

I put a ratchet strap around the case & after removing all the bolts I eased it off the main gearbox shaft & lowered/dropped it into a plastic crate then pulled it out from under the 110, putting it back in using a similar way, but it's flipping heavy doing it on your own & awkward to get the TB to stay in the right line so it can be fitted over the gearbox shaft & the single stud on the mating face of the main gearbox.

when it comes off next time, a engine crane is much easier.