Examples of dangerous recoveries

FridgeFreezer

After a bit of silliness at events I'm putting together a "don't be so 'kin stupid" article for the Shire LRC newsletter. While I could just say "being dangerous is really dangerous", sometimes people need a good photo or story to shock them into doing things right.

So...

If you have anything you are willing to contribute to the cause, please post it here. I will endeavour to credit everyone and (if I can get it past the treasurer :rolleyes: ) send a copy of the newsletter to those whose bits I use.

Here are the two most recent examples from events:

img_132.jpg

This happened mid-recovery :o note M12 bolts and no backing plate "but it's a nice strong tow-ball" <_<

img_91.jpg

Note the kinetic rope shackled to the normal rope connected to the towball :blink: on the other end there was a V8 90 stropped to a Range Rover both tugging, they weren't pleased when I asked them politely not to be such numpties but better to be p*ssed off than have a shackle in the gob.

John, try to find the one in the States where the guy was stuck in the mud and (I think) they were using something dodgy-ish to attach 2 strops together to elongate the winch rope or something, anyway, upshot was it broke, and the built up elastic potential energy in the system catapulted some piece of metal through the windscreen and his head, killing him. :(

If that doesn't wake people up, nothing will.

It may have been referred to on this forum, but I think it was defo on pirate. Let me know if you have trouble, and I'll help find it.

Al.

That would be here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?s=&showt...indpost&p=27554

I had driven the 90 nose down into a bog trying to recover it using a winch failed, So we broke out the kinetic rope

the team connected it to my rear recovery using a substansial shackle then rather than connect the rope to the other vehicles nato hitch an extra strop was introduced

I heard this being discussed but chose to ignore this.

This is a MASSIVE NO NO once the tow vehicle drove off the 5" wide strop seperated the kinetic a shackle and the remaing strop then flew at towards my car with enough force to dent the spare wheel rim in at least 25mm(Bend the wheel carrier and damage the spare tyre found out at a later date)

if the rear wheel hadn't been there either Val or I may well have not been for much longer.

anyone can buy these items but I strongly suggest you get some proper advice in the correct useage before someone we all know on here is maimed of killed.

I consider this event to be my fault entirley as I do know better but in the moment decided not to speak out.

if you are unsure/feel unsafe don't do it.

Nice idea, fridge. Try giving HFH a shout. IIRC he's got a few photos of breaking chassis and bending axles doing silly recoveries/being recovered from silly places. A lot of these people will think even harder if they think they're behavior could destry their vehicle as well as injure themselves.

Old story from Seth Efrika...

Landrover deeply bogged in mud - lazy squaddies hooked up... a tank!... with chains.

Tank drove off, dragging landrover body behind it.

Wheels axles etc remained in mud.

Don't know if it's true... but it's a good story!

Ah, that one was taken not far away from me, while Mount Pleasant was being built I believe :)

I'm amazed somebody wasn't court-martialled for doing that with a multi million pound helicopter... :unsure:

Can just see the air accident investigation report: "Cause of accident: rotor failure following impact with Land Rover bumper" :blink:

Old story from Seth Efrika...

Landrover deeply bogged in mud - lazy squaddies hooked up... a tank!... with chains.

Tank drove off, dragging landrover body behind it.

Wheels axles etc remained in mud.

Don't know if it's true... but it's a good story!

Cant see it myself, Armoured squaddies are normally very clued up on recovery techniques especially in mud, As tanks tend to get stuck in it and break down quite a lot. Plus every tank carries recovery ropes and a Kerr.

But it's a good story.

Armoured squaddies are normally very clued up on recovery techniques

Must be better than the regular type then mi7.gif

While it should never be doubted that I am grateful for the military presence in this part of the world, one thing they don't have a reputation for here is skilled off-road driving :huh: - in fact two words would spring to mind, one is "elbow" and the other one I couldn't possibly use on a family forum mi7.gif

:ph34r:

Must be better than the regular type then mi7.gif

While it should never be doubted that I am grateful for the military presence in this part of the world, one thing they don't have a reputation for here is skilled off-road driving :huh: - in fact two words would spring to mind, one is "elbow" and the other one I couldn't possibly use on a family forum mi7.gif

:ph34r:

But you don't get any Armoured Squaddies down there, Driving off road is there trade. I spent six weeks learning to drive off road and then a kick in the back of the head everytime i did something wrong whilst driving. You tend to become very good very fast that way. :D

But you don't get any Armoured Squaddies down there, Driving off road is there trade. I spent six weeks learning to drive off road and then a kick in the back of the head everytime i did something wrong whilst driving. You tend to become very good very fast that way. :D

True. Tracks aren't necessarily the solution to everything though :D

P1210128.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago, a big campfire close to MPA, apparently the fire brigade from the base were sent to sort it out in their big rescue trucks. I think the sequence of events went something like "Tally ho this thing's got 6 wheel drive so it'll go anywhere" - floppppppp - brum brruuuuumm brum brum bruuuuuuuuum - "oh bo&&&&cks!"

I understand the little Scorpions and Scimitars got on fairly well in 82 though - and what better vehicle to do a kinetic recovery with, just close the hatch and floor it, the rope can't get you through all that armour :D not sure I would like to try 70 odd tonnes of Challenger 2 though, it might end up like that photo above :unsure: