OT "I couldn't afford to...................

Les Henson

Good old Tdi you see, bust a cambelt on that and all you need is a few pushrods, this new fangled stuff is such rubbish :D

Talking of TDi cambelts...

My disco is coming up due for its second cambelt change in the next year (144k - is currently at 132k), but I can't find any evidence it's ever been done. 72k service was done at a main dealer (Town and County in Aberdeen), but doesn't mention the timing belt on the parts bill - nor does it appear on the Land Rover service check list.

Is it plausible that it's still running the original cambelt? :ph34r:

Would the belt normally be explicitly stated on the service bill, or is it covered by '72,000 mile service'?

I'm thinking best be paranoid and get it done now...

Just found it on my RAVE info but under Defender 300Tdi 72,000mile maintenance check sheet, Timing belt should have been changed as part of that maintenance.

Yet wierdly doesn't seem to be on the Land Rover service checklist used by the dealer.

Hayneous manual also says 72k, but strongly recommends doing it every 36k, adding that Land Rover recommend 36k for vehicles which are used off road, in dirty or hot conditions or mostly for short runs (this one hasn't - it's led a pretty easy life).

Is it plausible that it's still running the original cambelt? :ph34r:

Would the belt normally be explicitly stated on the service bill, or is it covered by '72,000 mile service'?

I'm thinking best be paranoid and get it done now...

If in doubt change it I would say!

Age is as big an enemy as mileage, how old is the vehicle? At work I have seen several go ping at about seven years old, because at about that age the belts are pretty perished and what happens is usually that they don't break, they just lose all the teeth along about 6" or so of the belt, and the engine stops with much the same expensive crunch as you get with a broken belt :ph34r:

Personally mine's getting done no later than four years, the vehicle only has 16000 miles on it (2.5 years old now) but I ain't risking it.

It's eleven years old.

In that case I would say no way it will be the original belt, I doubt you would have doubled the change interval (which is five years) based on the ones I have seen. But it might be five years old which means time to break open the piggy bank :huh:

Autodata timing belt book says:-

Every 72,000 miles or 6 years - normal conditions.

Every 36,000 miles or 3 years - adverse conditions.

Remove and instal time is 3.1 hours, so do it after tea Geoff.

Dealers/other garages normally state if the belt has been replaced in the service schedule book, so maybe they are different or just didn't record it. I would say that it's been done as well.

Les. :)

A colleague bought an ex company owned 2.5 Omxxa saloon with reasonable mileage, the cam belt change was due at the next service. A few miles short of the service the belt snapped, took it to a main stealer who offered to take a look at the engine as they did not know how much damage was done. Colleague says yes (doh!) lots of £££s later the stealer has it in bits and says yep its broken, what do you want to do, rebuild £££££££££££s, new engine £££££££££££££££££££s or what? About that time the colleague finds out that the manufacturer have just reduced the service interval back to the original distance when they designed the engine (I wonder why?), don't remember if the suggestion that manufacturer might like to reduce the bill was accepted.