green hardtop 90 Stolen from a member on here

Do it Quick!

My 90 was nicked off my drive last night. :angry:

I live in a small close, I've got security lights that activate if you walk on the drive and I'd also got one of those steering wheel bars - complete with flashing led on it. :glare:

Not a sound, no marks if it has been dragged, no broken glass and I still have both sets of keys.

Bas***ds

Edited by western
all posts ref this stolen 90 moved from the other thread to here.

Thanks guys,

Absolutely gutted after all the work I'd done on it, thanks to a lot of help from here - Td5 instruments, disco drop arm, triangular side windows in the hard top, spots - the list goes on.

Only amusing bit was when the missus opened the bedroom curtains and said "where have you put the Landy?" Oh, I put it in the cupboard under the stairs last night!

What the hell do I do now I haven't got it to play with? I know get another.

Malcolm

Thanks guys,

Absolutely gutted after all the work I'd done on it, thanks to a lot of help from here - Td5 instruments, disco drop arm, triangular side windows in the hard top, spots - the list goes on.

Only amusing bit was when the missus opened the bedroom curtains and said "where have you put the Landy?" Oh, I put it in the cupboard under the stairs last night!

Malcolm

Well at least it hasn't put you off of Landies :) We'll all be here to help you tinker with the next one ;)

PS Hope you actually get your 90 back and in an unmolested state.

Thanks guys,

Malcolm

Any news Malcolm?

The only news is I got my 555 timer working and it could connect to the speedo to make the led flash!

Not quite as elegant as yours though.

Oh I nearly forgot - I don't have a Landy. :blush:

Police promised to ring me so I could give possible details of someone seeing lurking a week ago. Neighbour got a partial reg but it's Bank Holiday week-end .....

Insurance company say they have to get in touch with DVLA (but it's a Bank Holiday week-end....) to check whether me and the missus have correct driving licences!!!

Never been in this situation before but I get the feeling that a) the police can't be arsed unless it crashes into them and b) the insurance are going to wriggle from day 1

Both of them have said it was targeted and no matter what security I had it was being stolen and is either in bits already or on it's way to Africa in a crate.

Thanks for the support and it may be some time before I can come out to play.

Malcolm

That does sound a bit rubbish from both the insurance company and the police :( What does your licence have to do with it when it was stolen from your drive?

When you get a Defender again if you decide to do the instrument upgrade let me know and I'll do the adjustment for free.

That was my 90 on the avatar. Since then I'd put small triangular windows in the hard top for better view at cross roads (declared to insurance)

With Admiral, who phoned today and said send all your paperwork, V5c, keys etc in, your insurance is cancelled as it's now written off (due theft).

We must expect a conference call between the named drivers (me & the Mrs) Admiral and DVLA regarding driving licences.

What's that all about? We've both had full licences over 20 yrs and it's a theft.

http://s611.photobucket.com/user/Dadstoy/media/DSC_0065-3.jpg.html'>DSC_0065-3.jpg

Malcolm

Sorry to hear LR gone. When I changed insurance companies the new one (Academy broker) asked for licience details when challenged they said all insurance companies will ask for copies of licence or refuse to insure.

Really sorry to hear this. I know we all want our insurer to react quickly to a claim but to declare it written off due to stolen after 2 days seems a touch unseemly haste. Is this normal? Its seems as if they dont want the expense / hassle of sorting out a recovered vehicle.

Hope that you get sorted out to your satisfaction buddy and not just for the insurers benefit.

Both got photo licences and both in date. Know all about the "expiry date" confusion and mine needs renewing next year, the wife did her's last year so both O.K.

Both got clean licenses, I had 3 points in 1972 so time well expired, no speeding, no parking nothing!

We were surprised that they're talking written off after 2 days - despite e-mailing the local community police, still haven't had any contact from them after the initial call so still trying to get a crime number as opposed to a report number that the insurance want.

Initial call to insurance said they wait approx 2 weeks before doing anything in case it turns up somewhere - sounds reasonable so why the sudden change?

What is it worth is going to be the tricky one. It sure as hell is a lot better than when we bought it, mechanically and cosmetically plus "Rustmaster" treated.

Never been through this before so don't want to give them any opportunity to wriggle out.

Thanks for all your support and advice

Malcolm

Would be nice to think if they are going to write it off so fast they will pay up fast as well but I doubt it.

I suspect a licence check is as much a confirmation of identity as anything else, there are scams of people claiming vehicles are stolen for the pay out after they have sold them overseas, by using different identities they can get away with this several times (probable with different insurance companies) , linking it back to a driving licence makes it easier to link things together for a centralised database to spot these things.

Once they pay out IF the vehicle is recovered later the insurance company own it, you might get a chance to buy it back or they will auction it or scrap it depending on condition when recovered.

Best of luck, keep pushing and they are more likely to do something.

Ive recently gone through the same thing with my 110 being stolen and recovered.

Vehicle stripped of seats and interior, wheels and tyres, other damage due to the what they did with it.
Right pain in the ass and they tried to wriggle out of paying out. Different insurer to you though.
They said as I had been working on it on my drive and not in a full lockup or commercial garage they wouldnt pay out.

They didnt consider the vehicle was properly secured and I hadnt taken reasonable care of the vehicle.

I had been working on the C pillar so had the floor out and the little panel behind the rear doors.

Got it all sorted out to my satisfaction in the end but I had to call them nearly every day to get it sorted.

After it was sorted I got my phone bill.
Nearly £60.00 in calls to there number!!!!!!!!

So check there numbers and ensure its at local call rates and not a premium number.

Good luck,

Gordon

Just filled in their form allowing them to access the Police report - eventually spoke to them today and got a crime number. They said no trace as of today and reckon it was targetted and probably either in bits or going abroad. Gave them a partial reg of a car that neighbours saw looking at it last week.

Insurance company initially questioned fact it was taken from the drive until pointed out that was where it was declared as normally kept on proposal form!

They e-mailed "what happens next" and it clearly states they do NOT sell any recovered vehicle back, so even if it's found I won't get it back once they've paid out.

Really lost now it's gone and although I want another, not sure I'll get an old Defender as I can't see how I could stop it happening again when they seem so determined to take it.

Malcolm

Has anyone tried chaining them to the ground, how have they faired under attack? There are some very good chains available for motorbikes.

Also how about a set of removable bollards if your drive is long enough put two sets in, one in front of the vehicle and one nearer the end of the drive so the can't reach over with a HIAB? I appreciate this becomes inconvenient especially if you have other vehicles.

You also have the option of cheap trackers, pedal locks, gear locks all will make it harder for theif, nothing makes it impossible. Don't let them stop you doing what you want to do.

Ive installed CCTV now after mine was stolen from the drive. Built from http://www.zoneminder.com/

Covers the drive and garage with recording on motion detection.

Also a tracker and a fuel/power cut off that can be activated by the tracker.

Sms/text based so it can be controlled/tracked by my smartphone.

Also one of those enormous steering wheel locks.

All so I can own a 20 year old vehicle.

Pathetic isnt it.

Gordon