Bolt stuck

Simon_CSK

I have a 12 spline bolt stuck in the head of a V8 block.

The block is out of the car and is one of the exhaust manifold bolts. Unfortunately the splines have stripped. Can someone give me a step for a hint as to how I can get it out. have thought about cutting the manifold but not sure how this will help.

Irwin bolt removers are excellent. They have a left hand flute in them and the set has various sizes. If there is anything proud of the fastener you want to remove, they are worth a try.

Otherwise, weld a nut on and proceed as per normal?

I've had good results times over with the Irwin nut extractors, you have to chap them on then twist and sometimes a bit more chaping before you really put your weight into it.  I've removed countless  stuck calipers bolts this way.  These shouldn't be confused with the "tap" type reverse helical extractors, in which I've never had any success... 

Bolt extractor is the way to go.

Drill the bolt first but before you insert the extractor.

1. Heat the bolt to a dull red with a blow torch.

2. Use a can of Wurth Rustoff ice spraying the hot Bolt.  

This with thermal shock the bolt and allow the Rustoff ice to creep into the threads.

3. Use the extractor to unwind the bolt.

The Urwin extractors are ok but I have had them slip. The better ones are the Snap-on paraellel extractors. But they are pricy.

If you don't have any Rustoff Ice go buy some you will not regret it and there are loads of uses on a landrover. If you cannot get any you can use WD40 but I have had mixed results with WD40.

Good luck.

Ed 

Thanks guys for some reason I had a total mental blank. I have no access issues and have bolt extractors so will try and find them to use if not will go for the weld. The block it on the floor and can put it on its side to get good purchase my fear is snapping off the head of the bolt.

On 12/31/2016 at 11:15 AM, duncmc said:

Did you get that bolt out Simon?

I would personally do the weld thing too. Bolt extractors don't work very well for me either. Just google Keith fenner easy out and look on Youtube for the "So you broke it off in your hole".

Dunc

Hit a few snags one of which is I cannot find my welding rods so have ordered some new ones. Will get back to it later this week hopefully. 

Nightmare over

Bought Irwine bolt extractors but they failed to find a grip because the splined head was too badly rounded. So opted for the welding method. 

Having not been able to find a nut quite big enough to go over the splines I decided to drill out the thread of the nut which also cleaned the zinc coating I then welded. My welding is not that great but after two attempts I got the bolt moving until it snapped off. More welding and a little coaxing and it eventually came off. 

Tomorrow I can now switch the two engines over and hopefully by next week have by beloved P38 back in use..........Then I can think about doing the same to the Disco :blush:

As usual thank for your help guys.

• 3 weeks later...