Glow Plug Relay 200Tdi

Andy

you need glow plugs? the 90 starts without them, maybe a few seconds if less than zero. (no relay on it)

The disco starts easily no matter how much or little i let the glow plugs go.

Checked the battery to ensure it's getting enough crank?

As to where the relay is, i thought on the 200tdi it was on the bulkhead behind the engine, but total guess from memory

If your 200tdi needs glow plugs to start it then the glow plugs are the last thing to worry about.It hasnt been cold enough for a 200 to need glow plugs in the UK yet - and rarely does.Either it is low on compression or the injection equipment is overdue a service.

ahh that relay looks familiar. ive seen it somewhere, on the bulkhead i think as suggested above.

going to check other stuff to when i get round to it, but it takes ages to fire & the problem seems to be very related to engine temp.

start it 1st thing is a lot of cranking & then a lot of misfiring & smoke. once its warm it starts on a flick of the key like it used to. i dont think its air or similar as turn it off when still cold & you get the same problem again. we'll see when i get chance to fiddle with it.

well i checked a few things today & unless the injectors can fail so they dont work when cold then i still suspect glowplugs. if ive got any heat in the engine it starts on a flick of the key, if its cold it churns & churns like a flooded petrol lump.

found the relay, it looks just the 300 one but on the bulkhead behind the washer bottle. will check the connections/glowplugs etc in a day or two when i have chance.

could it be a shagged feul solenoid? When the disco stalls (my bad usually as i forgot i have left it in gear) it sometimes will NOT restart and just turns over. I have to turn it off complete for a few minutes and then it will fire right back up. happened a few times now.

if the soleniod is warm it might just move a bit easier, perhaps not opening fully when cold.

dangerous suggestion: could you try heating the solenoid portion only, say pouring boiling water over the pump, at a guess about 4 or 5 kettles might get there, or perhaps a blow torch. ...

got that looks like a bloody stupid suggestion, but i'll leave it see how many comments it gets :)

well i dont own a blowtorch so im safe from trying that. i see the logic of what your saying but its not random enough for a 'sticky' item in my view. probably wont get chance to look till next week now as working all wkend & moving house friday.

Same thing in Malta.... on tdi no need for glowplugs...even in the cold. :rolleyes:

Not the same ...when i had the old series with the perkins. needed two guys to start it up in the morning. One cranking and the other holding a burning piece of newspaper next to the inlet manifold. poor little beast :lol:

well i checked a few things today & unless the injectors can fail so they dont work when cold then i still suspect glowplugs. if ive got any heat in the engine it starts on a flick of the key, if its cold it churns & churns like a flooded petrol lump.

found the relay, it looks just the 300 one but on the bulkhead behind the washer bottle. will check the connections/glowplugs etc in a day or two when i have chance.

I think your barking up the wrong tree!!!

Should'nt need glow plugs to start unless it's realy COLD!!,Sounds more like you have a diesel leak/starvation problem that primes it's self again once started and hence warm!!!!!

Check for leaks, blocked filters,lift pump etc............

sorted the starting fault. it did seem to be glowplug related. the connector on the bottom of the relay was full of mud (wonder how that happened?) cleaningup the connectors seems to have sorted it. starts from cold with a flick of thekey again. odd thing is i dont have to wait for the plugs either.

sorted the starting fault. it did seem to be glowplug related. the connector on the bottom of the relay was full of mud (wonder how that happened?) cleaningup the connectors seems to have sorted it. starts from cold with a flick of thekey again. odd thing is i dont have to wait for the plugs either.

Glad you sorted it. :D

Kin weird science motor vehicles

very true, kin werid things they are indeed.

mind you i also had to fill a hole in the crank, replace the woodruff key & the crank damper cause of that all falling apart thursday night. it seemed to run ok but i guess the timing was slipping at times.

yeah i realise the damper doesnt affect the timing directly. however when it broke up it broke the woodruff key in half & damaged the keyway & as the same key locks the crank pulley for the timing belt i suspect the timing was 'wobbling' by a few degrees.

very true, kin werid things they are indeed.

mind you i also had to fill a hole in the crank, replace the woodruff key & the crank damper cause of that all falling apart thursday night. it seemed to run ok but i guess the timing was slipping at times.

This is why it would not start,the slop in the keyway causes the pump and valve timing to be retarded.Also the reason for the smoke,bet it goes better now too.It was nothing to do with the glow plugs.

yeah i realise the damper doesnt affect the timing directly. however when it broke up it broke the woodruff key in half & damaged the keyway & as the same key locks the crank pulley for the timing belt i suspect the timing was 'wobbling' by a few degrees.

Nope, timing belt pulley has it's own key, which is further within the timing case, item 4 [note is states quanitity 2 on this 200TDi crankshaft parts page

200Tdicrankshaft.jpg

As soon as the crank bolt comes loose BOTH keys will wear and become sloopy,this is a well known problem on TDI's.If left to get worse it will wreck the crank as well.The late start point of injection and late valve timing result in poor starting/performance and the white smoke whilst cold starting.Remember 5 degrees of error at the crank is 10 degrees at the pump and cam sprockets.If Andy hasnt repaired /replaced the key for the crank sprocket it will fail again eventually.

i wasnt aware of the 2nd key for the timing pulley. i did repair the crank with chemical metal & fitted a new key for the damper. not totally sure its worked though, we'll see how it goes.

andy unless you had the crank timinig sprocket off (i just have to replace the oil seal) then you would not have seen the other key.. it looks like the damper on my truck has come off when running too ( not when i have had it tho) and destroyed the first key way and the timming cover :angry: . prob some cowboy garage.

So the first key is now stuck in place with chemical metal, when looking at the second key it was marked but otherwise ok for my highly tuned engine :rolleyes: and as the crank sprock bridges both anyway.

So where is the Glow plug relay on the 200 then? as my truck sounds like it is having the same cold starting prob as you :blink: which i cant see being any thing to do with the timming cos it starts first turn of the key just not firing on every pot... most days its ok has to be -degC and it soon clears, i have replaced all of the plugs and just want to rule them out all together...