Shackleton

New Series - RR Heavy

MAP will happily get 1" copper pipe cherry red, I don't now what the figures are, but there is huge energy increase over butane.

Well worth forking out for.

Think I might have a MAPP torch, it takes yellow bottles which seems to be the MAPP colour. Just can't check just now because it's about an hour away. Think I'll save up for one of those mini oxy propane kits though, they seem the biz.

Ordered some of those alu brazing rods [if that's what they are?]

here's the latest;

George, just watched your last episode.

that compressor you've got should be able to handle cavity wax just fine, you just neglected one important step...

stick the can of wax in hot water for a few mins before use! trust me, it makes all the difference.

Agreed, the compressor at 100psi will be the same as any other compressor at 100psi.

Warm the wax, and check your hoses for small orifices, on a similar cheap compressor I found one new hose only had ~2mm passage in the hose just behind one of the fittings.

• Thanks 1

Think the compressor only makes about 70 PSI, says 3-5 bar and the can of wax says 4-5 bar so it's right on the edge. So even though this stuff is fluid like water at room temp it needs heating? It didn't say anything on the can, but then maybe I didn't read it well enough. Someone also said a larger bore hose to the gun would make a difference too?

Here's the episode btw! :)

both your points are valid.

if your feeling like a bit of a maverick you can wind the pump cut off pressure up a bit. just don't go mad.

and yes, it needs heating. makes all the difference.

as for the flow rate issue, yes, it could be improved by using a decent hose.

Hmm, well most, even the cheapest compressors, go up to 8bar/100psi. If it isn't, you aren't plugged into the regulated output are you? They normally have two, one regged, one not.

If not, then as above, turn the wick up a little, the power difference between 70 and 100psi is quite marked.

Check your existing hose out first before buying a new one, I managed to open mine up with a drill bit, I eventually replaced it, but made a huge difference with high consumption tools

Even prior to fixing the hose I was able to squirt warm and thinned waxoyl, which is much thicker than what you have, with a standard degreasing gun with embaressing amounts of power inside a lightweight chassis, proper atomisation, and full internal coating.

With your current setup, perhaps just patience is the answer. :)

Yeah. The slightly annoying thing was that this whole cavity wax experiment was one of the things I didn't twig until later watching the footage back. It was painfully obvious that I prob cold have at least given some of the sill internal a very thin coating. But I couldn't see how much was coming out from the gun end of the lance, it being 5+ feet away from the action. 

More annoying is I couldn't find the destructions for the compressor and I was rushing too much to get my head around the two outputs. I'll check tomorrow but sod's law says I'm plugged into the reg'd one. Flip.

Well I can always open up a small hole and lance the sills later if I can tweak the hose/output/wax temp to good effect. Will make interesting viewing for those who were contemplating a little cheapo compressor. Thanks for the supervision :rolleyes:

i think you'll fine the range rover sills as standard have lance holes with bungs in. so not the end of the world if you have to drill a couple of bung sized holes :D if its good enough for land rover.....

Haha well do you blame me not noticing? Hard to tell the factory holes from the slightly newer ones on the original sills. Anyway do you mean the holes down the length of the inner sill? I welded all but the biggest of those up :i-m_so_happy:

Was thinking if I make two small ones, just big enough for the lance to pass through and well aligned between the underfloor support and the sill end, they'll go some way to helping keep the lance centred down the bore. Then a couple of grommets. Originally hoped the lance would pass through the square tread plate holes but just too small.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, Bowie69 said:

Agreed, the compressor at 100psi will be the same as any other compressor at 100psi.

Warm the wax, and check your hoses for small orifices, on a similar cheap compressor I found one new hose only had ~2mm passage in the hose just behind one of the fittings.

^ What Bowie said, check your system for restrictions. It could be down to the skinny nylon air-line not flowing enough air, seen that before in the workshop - big industrial compressor, big windy gun, but not able to undo a nut because the air-line was a cheapo one - 5+ metres of restrictive line knocks the air delivery down significantly, like voltage drop in skinny wires you end up with 100PSI in the air tank and 50psi in the gun when you pull the trigger.