New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

13 minutes ago, Shackleton said:

I was sure it'd bomb, but when you think about what goes on YT these days I suppose it makes sense.

The comments [1400+] are highly entertaining, I've been propositioned [by a straight chap], another talked about how it's the longest he's ever been erect, I've seemingly broken the dumb Irish potato farmer stereotype whilst being referred to as Dermot by an Aussie in 'the colony', a Russian called me 'bitch' and a Spanish chap doffed his sombrero at me :D

What can you say, except ‘welcome to the internet!’

5 hours ago, Shackleton said:

"I'm going to hold my Isuzu Trooper really close tomorrow, thank god it has no rust."

So clearly some sort of fantasist then :lol:

Also - 370k views, 18,000 subscribers now, that's gotta feel like the hard work was worthwhile! Try not to get champagne in the new welder ;)

Def feels good to get some traction FF, and yeah there's a new welder Blanco. Two in fact, a MIG and an ACDC TIG, plus a plasma cutter. Vids on demos of all three coming and I'll say no more because I don't want to spoil but I took a sheet of Birmabright with me to see if a first time TIG user could put two strips of it back together.

Lads I'm shooting a real world review style vid on the Vogue soon as I get home. I'm in a position now that I can talk about it with at least perceived authority. So what I want to do, rather than just saying 'everyone who thinks RR's are carp is wrong', is drop facts about components as I talk through the more normal aspects of a car review vid. 

So for example; I'm driving the car and I get talking about the trans. I'll talk about how the ZF4HP22 must be one of the most widely used autos in the world, and list the more diverse makes it's been used by.

But I want to talk about say the axles or the chassis, with some sort of real world comparison of strength, like how the RR chassis were hand welded and are box rather than C section like [Toyota?]. Or the cruise control system which is again a  standard and widely used design [from that period], or the Wabco ABS system which I read was at the time the envy of the motor industry [unsubstantiated]. 

So I'm asking for knowledge, any interesting tidbits of info about literally any system, component, bodywork, whatever. The more specific/relatable the better. Any thoughts?

EDIT: something I'd like to mention too is that the RR was the first coil sprung LR, and essentially the basis for Defender development. That'll surprise a lot of people. But I need to be filled in and fact checked ;)

Edited by Shackleton

Off the top of my head totally unsubstantiated RR facts and rumours I've heard down the pub;

The RR was exhibited in the Louvre (possibly the only vehicle to have been exhibited with the exception of "art cars") as "La voiture pur toutes occasions", I believe Gaydon museum have a 1/3rd scale wooden model used in the display.

Twas an early adoption of discs all round, Bosch EFI, ABS

Someone told me the transfer case (LT230) was a development of the Ferguson Formula.

One of very few vehicles to cross the Darien Gap

The original "In Vogue" was a tie-in with the fashion magazine

You've got all the specials - 6x6 fire tenders, armoured ones, police, etc.

The LSE's were cut & shut at the factory, if you look in the back door they cut & shut the window winder mechanism by hand too :lol:

Someone told me the 4.2's were developed (or possibly built) by an actual race engine builder, possibly John Eales?

You mention the Defender grew out of the RR drivetrain but remember the RR engine & 4-speed manual were hoiked out of the 101 gun tractor :blink:

You might find the Range Rover Register would be able to fact you to death if you asked. I've got a big book of LR facts somewhere (60th anniversary book or somesuch) will have a skim through... it does admit the P38 electrics were shockingly unreliable :lol: based on the Rover 800 system apparently!

• Like 2

IF there was for me a way to find time to learn to weld properly etc. I'd love to have a RRC again.

Over the decades there were many - one V8 engine on LPG was moved 3 times into another shell and did over a 1.000.000 kms. on LPG and was sold eventually in a very, very late 2 door and still going strong (the new owner can weld..)

However, the Softdash with the 3.5 Mazda engine was the best.

I miss that car....

Pls. keep it coming !

16 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Off the top of my head totally unsubstantiated RR facts and rumours I've heard down the pub;

The RR was exhibited in the Louvre (possibly the only vehicle to have been exhibited with the exception of "art cars") as "La voiture pur toutes occasions", I believe Gaydon museum have a 1/3rd scale wooden model used in the display.

Twice, I think, once a model of the car, the other time a full vehicle.  Stand to be corrected, though.

18 hours ago, Shackleton said:

... So what I want to do, ... is drop facts about components as I talk through the more normal aspects of a car review vid. ...

So I'm asking for knowledge, any interesting tidbits of info about literally any system, component, bodywork, whatever. The more specific/relatable the better. Any thoughts?

In this respect, rather than 'what people did with it'.
I believe it was the first car in the UK (and possibly world) to have the seat belts as a fully integrated part of the seat. I understand UK legislation had to be revised to allow this design feature.

Initially a 2 door car, without this feature the seat belts were a trip hazard for people entering the rear seat.
The seats are mounted on seat boxes, it was the need to take the strains associated with the seat belt restraining the occupant that led to a large number of fixings, seat box to floor pan.

Regards.

• 1 year later...

i know you haven't been on here in a while George but on the off chance you do see this...

,only one thing I didn't like in this latest video... put the guards back on the grinder! I HATE when youtubers take them off, it makes people that watch them think its ok, and its really not. there is no reason to remove them either, if the grinder cant do it with the guard on, its the wrong tool.

Edited by qwakers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, qwakers said:

i know you haven't been on here in a while George but on the off chance you do see this...

,only one thing I didn't like in this latest video... put the guards back on the grinder! I HATE when youtubers take them off, it makes people that watch them think its ok, and its really not. there is no reason to remove them either, if the grinder cant do it with the guard on, its the wrong tool.

Absolutely, made me cringe. 

A slip with a guard is just a slip, and carry on, without it is a trip to A&E. 

Rest of it was fab! :)

• Like 1

I've had to do it once, using a 5" grinder and a diamond grinding disk as a floor grinder to smooth a garage floor.

you have to take the guard off to fit the disk and to get the disk flat to the floor.

as I said, wrong tool.

and its the only time I've had to do it.

Edited by qwakers

29 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I’ve never understood the guard being taken off. The Americans love to do it as well. Literally never found the guard in the way ever. 

I stumbled across a RRC restoration by “Steve’s Garage” on YouTube.  He appears to be an “influencer” or whatever, and has no experience working on cars or with power tools, but he’s filming and helping out at the garage doing the work.  One of the mechanics got him to cut sheet steel with a small grinder with no guard and no protective goggles, ear defenders or gloves.  Liability claim right there...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1