Damn Discovery

Exmoor Beast

You may remember that a couple of months ago a core plug blew on our Discovery. We rplaced the head gasket in the process of repairing that and since then all has been fine for several thousand miles of hard towing.

However.

Yesterday I was off delivering again with probably 2 ton or so in the trailer when the Disco temp guage started to climb a bit on a steep hill. No worries thinks I, I will check the water when I stop perhaps its low. Over the hill the temp dropped again but on the next climb accelerating hard the needle climbed almost to the red so I stopped and left the engine running. Temp dropped to normal and stayed that way until I limped back to a mates garage. Dumped the Disco on him and borrowed father-in-laws V6 Omega to complete the chores.

Driving the Disco home today it lasted 15 miles or so before getting above normal temperature. I stopped and let it drop and started off again. Same thing once more on the way home.

Coolant level is fine but theres no heat from the heater.

Oil level fine but there is oil blowing out from somewhere.

When changing a split turbo pipe a month ago I did note a bit of oil in the turbo/intercooler pipe.

Any suggestions?

Will :(

a bit of oil in the turbo/intercooler pipes is normal. wash them out along with the intercooler if you want, it might make it a touch perkier.

disco heaters are always 100% waterflow, the hot/cold lever just controls airflow through the matrix. so the cold heater doesnt sound a good sign. blocked heater matrix? i cant remember where the waterflow for the heater comes from & goes to, just wondering if a blocked heater could reduce flow in the block enough to cause overheating?

ive never had the heater go cold till ive lost about 1gallon of coolant on my disco, that was when my waterpump just seemed to pump water out (not round) the engine. is the coolant level still ok now its had chance to cool right down & settle?

I agree that it sounds like a head gasket problem again. I did have a similar problem with mine that is was fine when running round town or bimbiling along green lanes but once on the motorway or with a trailer on the temperature would rise alarmingly. I got over this by running the heater which had the desired effect and kept it down. Turns out that it was the thermostat failing to open fully and therefor not allowing sufficient water to reach the rad. I have now changed the thermostat and the problem has gone away. :)

Chris

uummm...

Where are the matches....

Will :(

i woutd try doing a rad flush with a hose then do the same with the block and refill then undo both the heater take off pipes at the back of the engine noteing which way round they are then pour water down one heater pipe till it comes out the other cleanly with no bubbles then reconnect this will clear the hole system out and get rid of any air locks the other thing to check is condition of the rad if it ain't got any fins it ain't gona cool :ph34r:

mike

Thanks for the replies folks.

A mate tells me the way to check the head gasket is to run it up tp normal temp, remove the water cap and run it at half throttle for a minute. Apparently if the gasket is ok it will just drop water level and return. If not it will bubble up like mad. So thats my plan for this afternoon.

After I have been to look at another busted Disco thats going cheap ;)

I know I need help...

Will :)

Taking a completely simplistic view on this...

I had the same problem with my 110. I have since changed the rad and all is hunky dorey, I can tow our club trailer around all day long without the temp needle moving a millimeter :D

Is your rad ok? Mayt look ok on the outside, but could be blocked up with all sorts of rusty smeg on the inside.

D :)

Taking a completely simplistic view on this...

I had the same problem with my 110. I have since changed the rad and all is hunky dorey, I can tow our club trailer around all day long without the temp needle moving a millimeter :D

Is your rad ok? Mayt look ok on the outside, but could be blocked up with all sorts of rusty smeg on the inside.

D :)

Thats exactly what I was thinking, my Disco was the same, checked the rad and low and behold a lot of the cooling fins were missing.

I was advised that the standard rad is a bit mince for towing and changed the rad to the one with extra cores. No hassles since.

G