Fuel Filler design

Any ideas on fuel filler designs. I can't seem to get the shape right. The current one is rubbish, it either trips off straight away, or dribbles fuel out the filler. It's unleaded. I've tried a reducing insert on the inlet, but that makes tripping even worse. I can fill with the spout on a jerry can with no problem.

Any suggestions?

Fuel filler.jpg

Is the pipe coming in on the tee from the top of the tank or just a separate breather? You need the air to come out of the tank as fast as you fill it with fuel, so a pipe from the top of the tank to as near the filler neck is required. If you fill the tank quickly the fuel into the first bend could be blocking of the airflow back out of the tank ( if that's what your pipe is connected to) Ideally the tank breather pipe needs to be above where the end of the pump nozzle fits into. Otherwise the tank fills untill the air in the tank pressurises untill a point at which it will blow back! Is this the sysmptom?

Jim, the breather is separate into the tank, and the nozzle trips straight away, so I don't think it's airflow. Doug, I think I need to something like you suggest, I think the only sure way is to make a box inside the body panel so I can tip the filler neck 45deg. Also if I get a spill, it wouldn't run down the side of the panel. What do you reckon? I have looked around for a suitable ready made moulding or box like the old landrover ones, but I can't find anything.

Sounds like you have experimented a bit then! It could be that the angle of the nozzle of the pump gun directs the fuel flow directly at the step internally created by the tee and is enough to trip it. It sounds like a 45 with a stepped in box would be the way to go.

I think the breather needs to exit into the fill pipe above the filler nozzle, currently it is being doused with fuel the whole time you are filling.

In other words, it needs moving upstream in any way possible.  

Doug's idea will also help.

Personally, I think LR got it right by having the filler fitted at 45 degrees in a separate panel, they did it for a reason, and no reason I can see to do do it here with a standard filler?

Sounds right Bowie69  I've ordered a neck  and a 45deg  rubber bend from the US. They have a company for everything! all they sell is fuel filler fittings. Just got to work out how to get the breather up close to the filler, and probably to the side. Probably a short 2" ali tube with the breather out the side and down. I suppose the only other way would be to weld the breather into the neck behind the flange, that should be the best if I can fit in there.

filler neck.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've experienced the pump tripping issue on my new build, what makes it strange is the fact the filler neck is 3" & the breather is 1" 

However if I refuel with my dump cans, I can tip in 30 litres in less than 30 seconds

IMG_20170611_114649.jpg

Edited by RedLineMike

I may be miles off here, most vehicles have a narrow aperture just inside the filler through which the fueling nozzle fits, historically so you couldn't get the nozzle from a pump for leaded fuel into the filler for a car with a catalytic converter fitted.  This will also stop displaced air and fumes rushing out directly past the nozzle, I'm wondering if this might be at the root of the issue.  The displaced air/fumes mixture blowing back past the nozzle triggering the shutoff?  Not sure how you'd test, or cure it when you also need to make filling from cans easy.