electrical issue - dashboard lights

Hi all,

I'm finishing the rebuilt of my 1985 one ten stw and I'm running in to a electrical problem. 

All the lights work fine but for some strange reason the warning lights on the dashboard don't werk properly. 

If I turn on the headlights/rear lights the orange rear fog light  indicator light on the dashboard goes on. 

The green light on the dashboard glows just a bit. Like really softly. 

I checked all the fuses and they are fine. 

Also quite strange, if I remove the bulbub of the rear fog light indicator on the dashboard the green light goes out completely. 

any advise? 

cheers,

Dolf 

majority of earth [plain black] wires are on a single screw/bolt on the bulkhead in engine bay usually near the clutch master cylinder/fuel filter area. there should be a multi bullet connector with plain black wires behind the instrument pack on a pre 1990 vehicle as well.

10 hours ago, western said:

majority of earth [plain black] wires are on a single screw/bolt on the bulkhead in engine bay usually near the clutch master cylinder/fuel filter area. there should be a multi bullet connector with plain black wires behind the instrument pack on a pre 1990 vehicle as well.

Will the earth point on the later models be in the same area in the engine bay?

Edited by ShortTimers

I fitted a TD5 bulkhead, to my 1984 One_Ten and it had the earthing point to which Western refers.

Though a better idea is the one used by a friend. He managed to get hold of a piece of the earth bar from a commercial switch panel. Took all his body earth cables back to that and then a big cable from that bar to the chassis. Even if, strictly speaking, there is no earth on a vehicle. It is a neutral return

Edited by neil110
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Currently working on the car.  There is one black cable on the bulkhead (engine side) right above the clutch cilinder.  it is clean and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the dash lights. 

Is it normal that if you take out one of the warning lights (for instance fog light) that the complete row stops working? 

Could the dash unit be faulty? 

any other tips are very welcome....!

cheers,

Dolf

All plain black wires are Earth connections, so any stray ones should be connected to the chassis or body. 

removing one warning light bulb from the panel should not affect the rest of the lights.

there maybe a break in the warning light panel printed circuit, you can remove this & have a look for any breaks/missing sections, new printed circuits are available.

the fault might be a poor or missing earth connection inside the rear fog light or in the rear corners of the body behind the 2 cover panels, the earth wires should be bolted to the body at the rear lights.

hi Western,

Again thanks for the advice.  I checked all the earth connections but they seem fine. 

The printed circuit seems fine as well but it's hard to tell. I think i'll start by replacing this because it's not unlikely that it has broken after all these years. 

Any idea what the partnumber is for a 1985 110 2.5 na diesel?  I can only find the later ones. 1993> 

Furthermore the reverse lights don't seem to work. any idea what could be the problem? There is no  voltage on the wires at the switch on the gearbox nor on the bulkhead. 

cheers. 

Dolf 

reverse lights take their power from a plain green ignition controlled 12v feed, so will only be powered when ign is on/engine running, start with the fuse for reverse light, clean the fuse clips so they are shiney & put in a known good fuse, check the wiring at gearbox,make sure the terminals are clean & no wire breaks, might be a dead reverse light switch which lives on rear face just to rear of the gear levers, so fairly easy to get at to remove/examine, at the rear end again clean the bulb terminals, make sure the bulbs are correct [single filament,21 watt, 12 volt] you can swap these with the front or rear indicator bulbs to check they work, & examine the wiring in light units & inside the left/right rear corners & where it goes from the lights up into the body & where the loom comes out of the chassis, reverse light wiring from switch to lights is green with a brown tracer line.

printed circuit is AEU2721 -- http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/455309/0/printed_circuit

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A quick update.  Tried again today without any luck. All the earth connectors are clean and should work fine. I asked around but the printed circuit is not available anymore for the older versions. 

Reverse also not yet working but I'l take a go at that one next weekend.

cheers,

Also check the brake & tail light bulbs are correctly fitted, they have offset pins & can cause electrical problems if not fitted the correct way,  they should be 21watt & 5 watt dual filament in one bulb, a single filament 21 watt indicator bulb fitted in the brake/tail light unit will cause faults as well.

If you cannot obtain a printed circuit in Netherlands try Brit-car http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/455309/0/printed_circuit or http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/2388/AEU2721-PRINTED-CIRCUIT.html?search=AEU2721&page=1

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

All,

Sorry for the delayed respons but the new printed circuit did the trick. Everything works now! 

Many thanks for all the help! 

Just some other issues to sort out now but I'll start a new thread for those. 

Cheers, 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...