mach5 wheel mod

skauldy

hi Folks,

looking for your opinions. I have a set of genuine mach5 beadlockers. As they are beadlockers they arent road legal. I would love to have them on my truck. I was thinking what if i bolted the beadlock ont the wheel and then welded it on. Obviously a proper job coded welder and all that. What do yous reckon. 

shane 

What type of beadlocker are they. If they are the bolt on rim style why do you say they are not road legal because the tyre is sat on a rim just held in place instead of relying on a bead.

IMAG1575.JPG.80ea8c71edf726025a613999b284bb63.JPG

As far as I can see there is no real difference between this type and split rims. If however they are the flat ring type then I wouldn't run them on the road and I can see why they would be illegal. Either way if you do as you say you will not be able to fit or remove the tyre.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Hi Mike,

From reading on forums most replies were saying only the non-beadlocker were road legal, mach5 beadlockers for off road use only. I tried to see could i contact Matt to ask him the question but couldn't find an email address. Heres a pic of the wheels in question.

WP_20170727_16_20_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20170727_16_20_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20170811_16_10_38_Pro.jpg

I doubt any of his wheels are E marked. The only difference between the beadlock and the non beadlock is that the non beadlock does not have the lip on the rim to lock the bead. You could cut this off or claim ignorance. I would just run them anyway as the beadlock is safer, being a run flat sort of wheel. With wheels it is a case of legal untill they fall off. If you think they are safe, then run them.

Daan

It is a grey area, as bead locks are not legal (as in DOT approved), but split rims are. You cannot see from the outside what it is, so claiming ignorance tends to work. I think though if you start looking, any wheel (like tyres) that is not DOT approved is illegal. Almost no one, including the IVA man seem to know or understand the rules, or even know what a bead lock is. The IVA man will know about DOT approved though. A Hutchinson double bead lock wheel (which is a split rim with an insert) is advertised as being the only DOT approved bead lock available.

Daan

DOT is USA dept of transport,

it would need a careful read of UK construction & use regs for wheel types in UK. 

road wheels/tyres http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/part/II/chapter/C/made

an earlier thread about beadlocks, but no one has found any government info to back up the not for normal road use 

sorry guys was away for a bit, hmm a lot to take in and consider. I agree its silly their is a differance between beadlock and split rim. To me they both seem the same. I might get a standard set of wheels and use them for the test.