Clutch fluid slow trickle down cluth pedal. How big a problem?

Paul64

Sorted out the water leak, but have now noticed it wasn't just water. Clutch fluid is slowly trickling down the clutch pedal. I have had the LR 2 months now, and the fluid resevoir level looks ok. I take it a seal must be going somewhere.

Is this a do now job, or will it wait a little while?

Cheers in advance. Paul

...it may fail totaly when you least expect it to.

Hmmm - how about on a stormy night, with the windows misted up, half way through a twenty-six point turn to get out of a full pub car-park...

Got three feet clearance to that Mercedes? Good. Right. Here we go:

1. Start the engine in neutral and set the steering.

2. Engine off and engage a gear (1st or reverse as required).

3. Crank the starter and then hard on the brakes to stall it quick before it hits the Merc.

4. Repeat from 1.

How we larfed :lol::lol::lol:

NOT.

Rog

Paul , That`ll be your clutch master cylinder leaking , Its an easy enough job which could be made eaiser by taking the whole clutch pedal out to do it .

I wouldnt leave it to long though.it may fail totaly when you least expect it to.

Last time I did it it was a nasty little job. The footwell is cramped and everything is covered in brake fluid so the paint is all falling off.

Is this a do now job, or will it wait a little while?

Impending DOOM :(

Dont buy the El-cheap's either (IMHO)

The pattern parts are cheap but for a few notes more you get much better quality from the brands.

(last brand new cheapie clutch slave I bought, failed after about 20mins after fitting and testing, sadly, I had travelled over 300 miles with it on the trailer queen to find this out!)

right, it is a poxy job, but not difficult, i would do it soonish, but in the meantime just keep an eye on your fluid level.

when you change it, do the slave cylinder at the same time, if you don't it WILL go almost straight after... don't ask me how i found that one out... :rolleyes:

if you buy 'lucas' branded parts from paddocks they'll come in at about £45 for both parts, you'll need a bottle of brake fluid, and if you are realy picky, you could change the flexi hose that runs between the master and slave cylinders, either way you're looking at around £50, and a set aside a morning, but it shouldn't take that long.

as the others said, don't buy cheap bits, or you WILL end up doing it again fairly soon.

Les may have done a 'how to' write up on this....

Definately change it now rather than later!

These things have a habit of blowing in the most inconvenient places (like for example Camden one-way system in the middle of rush hour!!).

Genuine M/Cs are better than the cheapos but are not brilliant.

Hi Paul

Do as freeagent says and change them both, you might as well change the flexi pipe at the same time.

It's guarenteed that it will let go when it's raining,dark,car full of people,going to the airport etc etc ......... you get the idea

If you get the parts and you got some tools and can wait till the 29th I'll do it for you.

Looked at the nuvi 350 yesterday it looks a nice unit, with good specs. Strangely enough Media Markt is the same price as Dixons but you get airmiles at Dixons so I'm going there next weekend.

Was actually in Munster last night, we've got some friends over from England for the weekend and they wanted to go to a German christmas market and apparently so they say Munster is the one to go to. Must admit though after five hours of trawling round in the freezing cold the novelty kind of wore off a bit untill the baked potatoe stall.

Hi Paul

Do as freeagent says and change them both, you might as well change the flexi pipe at the same time.

It's guarenteed that it will let go when it's raining,dark,car full of people,going to the airport etc etc ......... you get the idea

If you get the parts and you got some tools and can wait till the 29th I'll do it for you.

Looked at the nuvi 350 yesterday it looks a nice unit, with good specs. Strangely enough Media Markt is the same price as Dixons but you get airmiles at Dixons so I'm going there next weekend.

Was actually in Munster last night, we've got some friends over from England for the weekend and they wanted to go to a German christmas market and apparently so they say Munster is the one to go to. Must admit though after five hours of trawling round in the freezing cold the novelty kind of wore off a bit untill the baked potatoe stall.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Really informative, and very helpful as always. Cheers.

Thanks Rejo for your offer. That is really kind. If it is ok with you, I will get the parts ready for when you come over, and you could talk me through it. Everyone has different styles of learning, but to be talked through something is definately best for me. I always find the Haynes manual makes things more complicated that they actually are. Or is that me?

I am not sure how quickly you need the Nuvi 350. Maybe we could have a chat about that when you get here??

Yes, the market in Munster in great. Real quality products including beer and food! People come from all over Europe for it. It does get busy though, as it has become too popular for it's own good. It is on every year for a month and finishes a few days before Xmas. If anyone else is planning a trip here, let me know, and I will show you round the best bits.

Look forward to seeing you Jo on the 29th.

Cheers, Paul.

As the others have said definatly get a branded one - i fitted a cheapo "britishpart" if you get my drift ;) and it did not work from the word go waisting a lot of time. I then got one from bearmach and it was fine

So that will be a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, new flexi pipe and bottle of brake fluid. Do I need anything else before Rejo gets here?

Cheers, Paul.

So that will be a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, new flexi pipe and bottle of brake fluid. Do I need anything else before Rejo gets here?

Cheers, Paul.

At least 1 litre of brake/clutch fluid to DOT 4 spec or higher, & take your time doing the bleeding bit.

• 3 weeks later...