Breakdown cover for a series with trailer

Gazzar

I've a decent road trip coming up soon and would like a little bit of cover, just in case. All UK based, so no international this year. What decent company is willing to provide breakdown cover for a 35 year old vehicle, with a 3.5 tonne trailer?

Britannia rescue every time - they don't bat an eyelid at the 109 or the ambulance with or without trailer (or all three together, as was the last call out!), plus for not much extra you and your other half are covered in ANY car you happen to be in -  even as a passenger!

• Like 1

RAC also gives me one other person cover in any car same as but I can't remember if it costs more or not.

The clincher for me at the time was that RAC would recover you from a motor sport event that you had competed in. Trials, comp safari etc..

Just be careful with RAC as they will not cover commercials as part of their normal breakdown service. The AA on the other hand have no problem as long as it is 3.5 ton max

This seems really daft to me as a Defender station wagon would be covered by the RAC but a hard top not

The AA cover me and my other half in any vehicle we are in provided it is no more than 3.5 ton. I don't have home start but I do have relay anywhere in the UK. They brought my Range Rover, car trailer and an SLK that was on it back from Coventry to Ipswich with no quibbles. IIRC it is £145 per year

I lost interest in the RAC when I my company van was with them - most of the engineers had stories... a colleague had a piston exit the block on the motorway, explained carefully what had happened and asked for a flatbed - RAC sent a motorbike to "see if they can fix it" (in other words, to meet their time promise because they don't have enough flatbeds). I got the Transit stuck down an unpaved track, told them it would require a 4x4 to be of any use, they sent... another transit! <_<

For most LR owners an AA or RAC van full of diagnostics gear & with a towing dolly for 2WD-only cars is useless. Britannia contract out to whoever's nearby with a flatbed, so they don't muck about trying to fix it they just load you up & take you where you want to go. I usually have the tools & spares with me to fix the easy stuff so the AA man would at best be offering a spare pair of hands to hold the torch & pass tools.

Only drawback is the operators are sometimes a bit rougher round the edges than the AA/RAC bods but if you're already covered in EP90 and mud it's unlikely to bother most people on here!

Hopefully I won't have to test them this weekend (500 mile round trip, with a SWB on the trailer for half of it), but it's good to hear positive reviews.

Really looking forward to the trip, to be honest. Open road, simple vehicle, slow enough to see the world, and it's driving my series.

Bliss.

No, a friend's 88. He's moving house. 250 miles trip Severn to the North sea,  and the sameback empty for tomorrow. 

The TDI never missed a beat.

A thoroughly enjoyable day.

• Thanks 1

That looks Good !!!!!

Love to see them working for a living.

Will start tomorrow preparations on the 110 for the FR-PL-BY-NL-UK-FR trip later this month..

Keep them coming please !

• Thanks 1

Non event. 500 miles round trip, with trailer. Topped up the tank twice, from half way. 

Two points of interest

1) the lh swivel is pressurising, and blew off the hub cap. The replacement had a chisel through it to prevent recurrence.

Why?

2) the rocker cover is pressurising, TDI 200, cyclone to air filter disconnected as haven't fitted a proper filter yet. 

Rings? 

Also, I need to fix the heater. It's very cold.

G.