300Tdi jelly oil repair

ChrisB

OK, so, I know that it's most likely my own fault for causing this mess, but now I'm trying to work my way out of it.

My 300Tdi (Disco, EDC) engine oil turned to a thick jelly-like mess, with a large quantity going into the rocker cover, through the cyclone, into the air intake and blocking the whole air intake pre-turbo.

I've cleaned all that muck out, dropped and cleaned out the sump and changed the oil filter.

Currently the air intake hose is disconnected from the intercooler to exclude anything air-related in my troubleshooting.

Filling the engine with oil took a very long time as the rocker cover was slow to drain.

Now, after about a minute of starting the engine, the rocker cover fills up and oil is ejected from the filler fairly rapidly. I guess that the path from rocker cover down through the engine is blocked, or partially blocked, but I'm not clear on the path, and where I should go next to try and fix it.

Any assistance much appreciated!

It sounds like you had/have emulsified oil in the sump , so probably a blown head gasket - which would add pressure to the crankcase and blow out to the air filter through the breathers . The 300's do crack the heads  quicker if overheated - has this happened recently ? also what's the header tank level and radiator level like ? and is there pressure in there too?

What colour is the "jelly" ?

hope this helps

Steve  b

The jelly was caused by a reaction between oil types/additives. I don't believe that any water was involved, as it's a true black colour. I am not aware of any overheating, and the cooling circuit seems well filled and nothing untoward there.

I've had the sump off for a good lean out - there was a significant quantity in there. I've refilled with regular engine oil + 2x engine flush bottles. The intention was to get it running for a while on that and then drain / refill, but there doesn't seem much point progressing while there is oil being ejected from the rocker cover.

I suspect if the galleries are blocked with this sludge, they aren't going to clear easily until you can get the engine good and hot, which probably isn't going to happen in its current state.

I wonder if something with pouring through something more 'detergenty' like ATF, or even just thinner like diesel, would help to get things moving? Pour in the top, drain out of the bottom a few times, then flush and refill with proper oil before starting.

Or try filling it with the stinking hot oil you just drained out of something else that was due an oil change?

DO NOT try either of these things without asking a grown up first - it's just what I might try, and I've bu66ered load of cars :blush:

Pre-heating the engine/oil sounds like a possible option if it is likely to 'melt' the jelly.  I would not recommend it to anyone else, but if it were me then a camping stove under the sump would get the oil good and hot.  Also, refilling the cooling system from the hot tap would be a possible pre-heat option - unless you (I mean 'I'!) had a preheater available.

Chris

52 minutes ago, GBMUD said:

Pre-heating the engine/oil sounds like a possible option if it is likely to 'melt' the jelly.  I would not recommend it to anyone else, but if it were me then a camping stove under the sump would get the oil good and hot.  Also, refilling the cooling system from the hot tap would be a possible pre-heat option - unless you (I mean 'I'!) had a preheater available.

Chris

I do have a DBW 46 preheater all plumbed in to both water and diesel circuits. Unfortunately I can't get it to fire and run reliably - it's always been on the list of things to try and fix :-(

Given the water plumbing is there, I could try and circulate through a heated bucket of water to warm things up a bit. Given the quantity of engine oil and diesel all over the engine bay, I suspect that the camping stove option will likely result in a visit from the fire service!

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I've decided that I have enough on my plate, so it's up for sale :-(

I'm sorry to hear this, unless you've mad the decision now in stone, it probably worth putting a wee shout out to anyone on the forum who lives close to help you out to give it once last go?

Fill the engine up with diesel (to the rocker cover) leave to soak for a good while, overnight maybe, drain, fill with engine oil, start and pray :)

Does sound like the oil galleries are particularly sludged... Do you know if you have oil pressure once started?

Oil flush bottles won't make a whole lot of difference to that amount of sludge.

As you say, it sounds like the drainage from the rocker area is blocked. If oil is getting up there then you may have been lucky with the rest.

Bowie's idea is certainly worth a go.

If you can locate the drain passage(s) from the top I'd try a solvent under pressure to blast the passageways. Aerosols of clutch & brake cleaner with the long thin tube to probe down any visible holes would be my preferred sort.

I used a lot of it both in aerosols & 5 litre tins cleaning out the top end of my RRC when I had the heads off earlier this year.

The amount of sludge it got out was something of a surprise esp on the stripped down rocker assemblies as the passages in several of the rocker arms were completely full.

Edited by paintman